German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a GSD from a good breeder, mom and dad were stunning dogs absolutely massive looked very healthy and were trained for all sorts of work.

That being said my pup is 6 months old on the dot. He has finished teething I think and his ears are for the most part flopped.
He went from ears never up, too ears (sorta) up when he’s running or excited, to (sorta) up for about a week. Then was teething and ears are pretty much never up now. I am curious if I should consider taping them and/or more opinions from people who have more knowledge of this subject.

here are some photos:
Second photo: earliest photo, start of when his ears were perking
First photo: little after second photo, just before teething and he was excited on a walk so ears were up
Third photo: most recent, 6 months old, full teeth in now and that is how his ears are 99% of the time.
View attachment 559107
View attachment 559108 View attachment 559109

·
Super Moderator
7,370 Posts
I personally don’t believe in taping, unless it’s for something minor like a weak ear tip. I’d rather get used to whatever nature spits out than trying to post ears and having them turn out lopsided or sinking or damaged.

Since his parents were “massive”, I would check in with your breeder to see if ear issues or delays in standing are common in their lines, as it’s fairly common in oversized dogs. Any contact with owners of littermates?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply appreciate it. And massive as in lean and tall. I will talk to the breeder too but she said they should be fine as she hasn’t had any one else mention anything. (Probably just being paranoid but I wanted more opinions on it)

·
Registered
580 Posts
I agree with Fodder. His ears look fine to me. Many here have had pups whose ears didn't come up completely until they were over 9 months old. We have had 2 like that.

There is no way to know if taping helps them stand. But there is evidence that taping can cause damage and make them even less likely to come up.

We have owned several of these wonderful dogs and never had one with floppy ears as a adult. It's actually very rare they don't come up. Relax and enjoy your handsome guy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts