German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

So we took Noelle in to get spayed this morning. A few days before today, we noticed Noelle when being walked would just sit & then lay down and not want to get up... Then yesterday we noticed that her back legs are sort of running at the same time like a bunny would. Well, since Noelle was under getting spayed we had the vet do an Xray. We were told that she has severe hip dysplasia and it is congenital. Not sure what that means. At 6 months???

The vet told us that we need surgery by an orthopedic surgeon. Before we agree to this, we are getting two more opinions. One of the opinions will be from a vet who does more of a chiropractic type work. Has anyone ever gone through this so early in a puppys life? I've been around GSd's my whole life and I know they can have hip problems, but at 6 months?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I'm sorry for you and Noelle:(

I think it's a good idea to get another opinion, look for an orthopedic surgeon for your second opinion.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Yes, they can certainly have HD at any age. Alot of times a young puppy is not diagnosed at a young age because lots of folks don't get xrays done of "just their pet" or don't recognize the signs of HD and don't realize what is going on.
If the vet marked the xrays correctly, you can send them into OFA for a prelim rating/diagnosis for about $35 or so. A second opinion would be smart especially for surgery. Remember there are different types of HD surgery:FHO: femoral head ostectomy, total hip replacements, and two or three different types of surgery that change the degree of the femoral head fitting into the socket.
I am sorry that the diagnosis is so severe for your girl.
Yes, 99% of the time, HD is genetic. Were sire and dam OFA clear?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts