German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

This is my first post here.

We adopted Diva (Female GSD) 2 years ago from a family that was moving and didn't want to take her with them. Since we've had her she has slept in a crate. She'd either just go in by herself late in the evening or if I was going to bed I'd just have to give her the command "Night-Night" and she'd get up and go in.

Over the last couple of weeks she's become stubborn and will only go in reluctantly or not at all. Last night she actually snapped at me as I tried to get her off the couch to go to bed.

I don't know what's going on with her. I assume it might be that we are all home for the last 6 weeks and it's throwing her off

Any thoughts on what might be going on? Or how to get her back to obeying?

·
Registered
113 Posts
There is a pattern changing in your house and your rescue maybe not like it. Maybe let her sleep on the floor and trick her to sleep on the floor?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding. We've pretty much had the same thoughts. We let her sleep where ever she wants. Sometimes, downstairs by the front door. Sometimes, upstairs in my office. Usually around 4am we here the tags on her collar jingling as she curls up outside our bedroom door.

She seems happy. It was just a little weird as she used to go into the crate, often without us needing to even tell her.

·
Super Moderator
6,968 Posts
edit: sorry, i misread your post as Diva being a 2yr old that you recently adopted. the jist of my reply should still apply however.

Well, there’s two separate issues that i see... one likely bleeding into the other. first off, it’s not about the crate! ...and you’ll need to have your expectations straight before addressing.

if she had less freedom and was trained / accustomed to going to her crate in her previous home, then that’s why she did it with such ease initially at your home. in your home you’ve now introduced/allowed/accepted her being able to lounge wherever she wants.... over time shes realized that she no longer HAS to go to her crate and is just now exercising that right. the problem however is that she’s going about it in the wrong way (snapping) and that should not be tolerated.

if you no longer want to use the crate regularly (long term), that’s fine - but i’d take away some of her freedom for the time being (until she accepts the crate again), decide what is/isn’t allowed as far as where she can sleep... and reestablish those ground rules / boundaries.

my dog (7) is allowed to sleep wherever he wants too, but the moment he no longer honors my request to move, that privilege is taken away immediately.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
edit: sorry, i read your post as Diva being a 2yr old that you recently adopted. the jist of my reply should still apply however.

Well, there’s two separate issues that i see... one likely bleeding into the other. first off, it’s not about the crate! ...and you’ll need to have your expectations straight before addressing.

if she had less freedom and was trained / accustomed to going to her crate in her previous home, then that’s why she did it with such ease initially at your home. in your home you’ve now introduced/allowed/accepted her being able to lounge wherever she wants.... over time shes realized that she no longer HAS to go to her crate and is just now exercising that right. the problem however is that she’s going about it in the wrong way (snapping) and that should not be tolerated.

if you no longer want to use the crate regularly (long term), that’s fine - but i’d take away some of her freedom for the time being (until she accepts the crate again), decide what is/isn’t allowed as far as where she can sleep... and reestablish those ground rules / boundaries.

my dog (7) is allowed to sleep wherever he wants too, but the moment he no longer honors my request to move, that privilege is taken away immediately.
I have no idea what she did in her previous home. When we got her we'd toss a treat in to the crate and that's how we trained her to go in. I should have mentioned in the original post, we are first time dog owners so a lot of this is new to us. Kind of like when we were first time parents...we did better with out second kid, lol.

You are right that we have accepted her sleeping where she wants to. It took us by surprise because for the first two years she went in with no issues. It's not really a big deal where she sleeps. She's not a dog that barks in the middle of the night or anything like that so If she's happier sleeping someplace else that's fine with us. I was just concerned with her sudden change and if it indicated anything greater.

Thanks for the feed back

Marc

·
Super Moderator
6,968 Posts
Just to be clear, if by allowing her to sleep wherever she wants results in her continuing to snap at you, then I would discontinue allowing that amount of freedom / decision making......or yes, you’ll have a greater problem on your hands.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to be clear, if by allowing her to sleep wherever she wants results in her continuing to snap at you, then I would discontinue allowing that amount of freedom / decision making......or yes, you’ll have a greater problem on your hands.
She hasn't snapped at me since that first time. But yes, that would be a bigger problem

·
Registered
113 Posts
I would just train her in to sleep in her couch/bench if possible or at a place like the hallway but, only at that place no other place. Needs a bit consistency in this. The dog I sometimes Babysit called Astra (Black shepherd) slept always at the hallway to keep an eye on everything. Its a trained female GSD to sleep on the hallway that the owners did when she was young.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We have up the crate. And I fully understand your dilemma. When I got Shadow as my service dog, the breeder told me she sleeps in a crate. Always. First night? She was so happy to be in a home, not in a training facility breeder/ kennel situation? It was almost comical to see 2 grown adults trying to wrestle a GSD into a metal crate. She never snapped. But no way. She obeys on everything else but that one? We let her win. Gladly. I have had dogs all my life. Working dogs. None slept in a crate. All obeyed my every commands and wishes. Some people swear by crate training. And others don't. She picked a place, she is happy, the snapping was maybe not acceptable but she was trying to convey a message....since she never did it again. GSD are a breed so different than any other breed....if she still behaves in all other aspect? No problem!
Btw.....I think it is amazing you adopted her and thank you. So many people shy away from adopting an older dog...She must be so attached to you!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts