German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed Sasha limping yesterday on her left front leg. She doesn't seem to be in any pain because she hasn't made any noises when she walks or lays down.

Should I be that concerned? Or let it work itself out.

·
Registered
31,987 Posts
Do you have any arnica or aspirin? I would give her a dose of that. If it continues tomorrow, call your vet. Could be an injury, could be pano.

·
Super Moderator
32,410 Posts
If she's limping she's probably in pain, even if she's not crying out. It sounds like pano to me too, but if you might want to call your vet and see if she needs to go in and be checked out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes. No pain. It is almost like when you sleep on your arm and it falls asleep you can't move that well until the blood flows back. Or if you were to have a bruise in your body it may be sore to move after you have been sitting.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've always known gsd's to have a slight limp especially at this age. Im not saying completely ignore it, but since they are growing in every direction at a fast rate, it can be uncomfortable "growing pains"...i've told people before if they limp a little don't freak out...and when I got my pup, my breeder told me the same thing lol...just keep an eye on it, but it COULD be from just growing pains

·
Registered
470 Posts
London had pano when he was about that age (give or take a few months) and it lasted a few months. It is like growing pains in young kids. I had to curb his activity: no running till he was about 16 months. It went away once he slowed down on that major growth spurt and has never had any issues since.

To diagnose the pano, he did have an x-ray. Since the vet was going to put him under for that one x-ray, I went ahead and asked her to shoot x-rays of all four legs (including the hips). I wanted to check for other future possible problems such as hip dysplaysia. I was told he has great hip joints/elbow joints so I was relieved about not having to deal with any of that down the road.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
pano and tick diseases can present similarly. I know that there are quite a few tick diseases in parts of MI, so you may have to go to the vet and get a definitive diagnosis. Could also be dysplasia, my mixed breed developed that as a very young pup.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would also watch feeding your GSD a high protein diet. A lot of 'puppy' foods have very high protein which promotes growth which can cause pano. You may want to look into an adult food instead of a puppy food where the protein isn't so high.

·
Registered
31,987 Posts
I would also watch feeding your GSD a high protein diet. A lot of 'puppy' foods have very high protein which promotes growth which can cause pano. You may want to look into an adult food instead of a puppy food where the protein isn't so high.
That is not accurate. It's the calcium/phosphorus ratio you need to watch. Protein builds muscles, not bones. Pano does not affect the muscles. It affects the bones, therefore, you need to have an appropriate calcium/phosphorus ratio and not have have a food high in calcium.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts