German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All. I have a 6 1/2 month old male german shepherd hybrid named Pistol. I'm worried about his ears not being erect as he gets older, I didn't buy a floppy eared dog, I love him no matter what I just really want his ears to stand. I believe the bases are strong, his left one more then his right onw, I'm thinking maybe it got alil damages cause our ferret has bit the base where all the fur is a couple times, and when he rough plays with our female boxer I believe she sometimes gets his ears, or use to. Ive read of giving him vitamin c will help but how? Put it in food or? And I was thinking o of taping or gluing but I have no idea how to. Any help will be great appreciated thank you. Forgot to add that they have been up for more, not for a long time but theyv been up multiple times probably for no more then a minute each time

Attachments

·
Registered
885 Posts
What is he mixed with?

His ears do look a little heavy, but they may still stand. My male Shepherds ears took until 7-8 months to stand solid.

Have the ears stood before? Have you done any taping?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have also rubbed his head and neck a lot until reading i should stop. Not his ears but top of the head

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Technically, hybrid is used for Wolf crosses. I think he means " mix" not that it makes that much if a difference. Looks like a Rottie/ GSD to me. Super super cute dog!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was told by the breeder he was mixed with wolf, I'm guessing it could be wrong but I'm believing it. They've stood before but didn't stay standing for that long. No I haven't done any taping, I was considering it but have no idea how to. What would you say is the cut off of the ears standing?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No I mean hybrid, he's not part rottie, the neighbor thought he was part rottie before lol but he's not

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Looks like my brothers in-law dog who is mixed with a collie and the ears never stood up, they are too thin.

·
Registered
9,937 Posts
I was told by the breeder he was mixed with wolf, I'm guessing it could be wrong but I'm believing it. They've stood before but didn't stay standing for that long. No I haven't done any taping, I was considering it but have no idea how to. What would you say is the cut off of the ears standing?
Don't believe it.
There is zero point zero wolf in that dog.

Those look as if they have a chance, but you will need to tape or glue.

You can go on youtube and I am sure you will find videos on how to do this. Also, I think the Leerburg website has some instructions.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's fine, I can care less if you believe it or not, no offense.

Ok ill try to get right on that. What if the right ear base isnt/doesn't look very strong like his left ear?
Ok thanks for telling me

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Give him lots of chew toys, to strengthen his muscles. The general saying is that " if they stood once they will stand again" but based on his pics I am not sure.

I think he is a gorgeous dog, but his coloring and body do not say Hybrid to me. Of course I can be wrong. It's happens more frequently than I care to admit. Either way, he is great looking!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
9,937 Posts
That's fine, I can care less if you believe it or not, no offense.

Ok ill try to get right on that. What if the right ear base isnt/doesn't look very strong like his left ear?
Ok thanks for telling me
Well, you are very welcome.
There are members here who do own wolf hybrids, and they do not look like that at all. No offense if you believe it or not.

And no wolf is a good thing. Let me see if I can find the wolf dog links for ya.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He has lots of bones, he chewed on one for about 2 1/2 hours straight last night after me asking him to make his ears permanetly stand up. Thank you for the compliment lol. I don't exaclt know if he is for shure, I'm shure breeders lie about some things. But his mom was all black and his dad(supposably wolf, don't really know I'm gonna contact them) was I believe all tan.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, you are very welcome.
There are members here who do own wolf hybrids, and they do not look like that at all. No offense if you believe it or not.

And no wolf is a good thing. Let me see if I can find the wolf dog links for ya.
I know what they look like, and I do agree, but I can't say if he is or isn't for shure which is why I'm gonna try to find out. Well I wanted part wolf, which is why I want an ATSD sometime in my lifetime. I know no wolf could be a good thing, if he isn't then I hope he's not part of some dog I don't like

·
Registered
9,937 Posts
if he isn't then I hope he's not part of some dog I don't like
:D LOL-- thanks for the chuckle. Good luck with your boy's ears. I would not put off taping, now is the time to do it if you stand a chance of getting ears.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts