German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Jax
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
advice please our 5yr old boy has been displaying lameness on back right leg after even mild exercise, including walking on beach.

treatment - meloxicam daily for pain, plus 3 weeks into cartrophen course plus golden paste fish oil and glucosomine

xray report says - Stifles palatable stable, no ad or tt detected. however rad shows bilateral stifle oa/djd
both hips have reduced rom under sedation and +ve orotlani, rads confirmed remodelling to both femoral heads, including flattening and sclerosis - bilateral hip oa/djd

feel helpless when he is in pain, all he wants to do is play... he is not over weight at all

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
I don't have any advice or equivalent experience to share, but want to chime in and say how sorry I am that you're going through this with your dog! Hopefully your vet can get it figured out and make him, if not healed, at least more comfortable.

Best wishes to you both!

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Are you near a veterinary school? Maybe you could get some answers there. Wishing all the best for you and your pup.

·
Super Moderator
9,475 Posts
xray report says - Stifles palatable stable, no ad or tt detected. however rad shows bilateral stifle oa/djd, both hips have reduced rom under sedation and +ve orotlani, rads confirmed remodelling to both femoral heads, including flattening and sclerosis - bilateral hip oa/djd
trying to sort this into layman’s terms - has this dog not formally been diagnosed with hip dysplasia??? if so, what severity?
oa = osteoarthritis
djd = degenerative joint disease

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
DJD and OA would be the result of dysplasia. And he's got it in his knees as well. At only 5 years old - poor dog! 😥

Definition of sclerosis in bones: Bone sclerosis is defined as “an abnormal increase in density and hardening of bone."

ROM is range of motion. Stifle is the knee joint. They say it's stable on palpation/manipulation, so it's not a cruciate ligament problem.

Would like to know what happened that this dog developed such severe problems at such a young age! Was there anything different about his diet or the way he was raised as a pup? Are there hereditary problems in the lines that you know about? What's his pedigree like?

Not at all pointing fingers - heck NO! I really feel for you - but this IS unusual, and would like to try to figure out why it's happening. 😥

·
Registered
Jax
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
trying to sort this into layman’s terms - has this dog not formally been diagnosed with hip dysplasia??? if so, what severity?
oa = osteoarthritis
djd = degenerative joint disease
thanks for reply, the vet didnt actually say hip dysplasia, more osteoarthritis it was however on the insurance report diagnosis hip dysplasia

·
Registered
Jax
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DJD and OA would be the result of dysplasia. And he's got it in his knees as well. At only 5 years old - poor dog! 😥

Definition of sclerosis in bones: Bone sclerosis is defined as “an abnormal increase in density and hardening of bone."

ROM is range of motion. Stifle is the knee joint. They say it's stable on palpation/manipulation, so it's not a cruciate ligament problem.

Would like to know what happened that this dog developed such severe problems at such a young age! Was there anything different about his diet or the way he was raised as a pup? Are there hereditary problems in the lines that you know about? What's his pedigree like?

Not at all pointing fingers - heck NO! I really feel for you - but this IS unusual, and would like to try to figure out why it's happening. 😥
yes its awful, my heart aches for Jax.
a bit of history - we got jax at 5 weeks old as mum weaned him early, desexed at 6 months at vet recommendation, and also council requirement.
he is a tall boy and weights approx 48kg. not overweight at all.
aways had a good diet, varying from raw to kibble, sardines etc, Has allergies to chicken, grain and rye grass.
he walks 5/7 days approx 1/2 hr
maybe 2 x a month he would go to beach and play chase with ball for around 1/2 hr
i wouldnt say he does anything too strenuous generally.
the lameness has developed quite quickly over the past 6 months

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Adequan isn't available in Australia, Cartophen is it's closed equivalent.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
yes its awful, my heart aches for Jax.
a bit of history - we got jax at 5 weeks old as mum weaned him early, desexed at 6 months at vet recommendation, and also council requirement.
he is a tall boy and weights approx 48kg. not overweight at all.
aways had a good diet, varying from raw to kibble, sardines etc, Has allergies to chicken, grain and rye grass.
he walks 5/7 days approx 1/2 hr
maybe 2 x a month he would go to beach and play chase with ball for around 1/2 hr
i wouldnt say he does anything too strenuous generally.
the lameness has developed quite quickly over the past 6 months
I'm so sorry you're going through this, I know how you feel 😢 Car rides are good when you want to take your dog out for mental stimulation, without the exercise factor.

Nitro is also a tall boy and weight ranges around 44-46kg, and not overweight either. He has developed osteo arthritis in a front elbow joint. He's had a course of Cartophen injections, (didn't notice any improvement and he hated the injections), and he's on 300mg of Neurontin (Gabapentin) twice daily. He's also on Glyde, a mobility chew supplement for dogs (the best price I've found in Australia is Pet Circle). Hoping this helps...

·
Registered
Jax
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm so sorry you're going through this, I know how you feel 😢 Car rides are good when you want to take your dog out for mental stimulation, without the exercise factor.

Nitro is also a tall boy and weight ranges around 44-46kg, and not overweight either. He has developed osteo arthritis in a front elbow joint. He's had a course of Cartophen injections, (didn't notice any improvement and he hated the injections), and he's on 300mg of Neurontin (Gabapentin) twice daily. He's also on Glyde, a mobility chew supplement for dogs (the best price I've found in Australia is Pet Circle). Hoping this helps...
thanks for reply, poor Nitro, feel for him. I will look up the Glyde thx Currently i make up a mix of golden paste, fish oil, glucosamine/chrondroitin and green lipid mussel

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Perhaps ask your regular vet to refer you to an orthopaedic vet that will do a zoom consultation.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts