German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5MO pup. He's a great pup, housetrained, knows basic obedience relatively well, but he's always had this issue with eliminating. When, peeing, starts standing but starts walking close to termination. When pooping, starts while "sitting," but usually moves a feet or two while doing so. Then stops, goes to another part of the yard, usually the other end, and restarts. I tried to hold him with a leash while eliminating. It usually works well for peeing but he seems to stop defecation prematurely when I do so at times, and usually takes a step back hitting his poop with hind leg. Also, when off leash again starts walking. Any tips?

·
Registered
224 Posts
My first GSD was like that, he walked and pooped. Honestly, nothing to worry about, and it used to make me laugh; I'd have the poop baggie out on ready, he was a three piece in one go kinda dog, so I'd be counting...one, two, three, and done :grin2:My new pup doesn't, and I kind of miss it.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
My first GSD was like that, he walked and pooped. Honestly, nothing to worry about, and it used to make me laugh; I'd have the poop baggie out on ready, he was a three piece in one go kinda dog, so I'd be counting...one, two, three, and done :grin2:My new pup doesn't, and I kind of miss it.
I have one that does this....sort of like a goat. :grin2:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No. I'm feeding him Orijen for puppies, which is considered a high quality food. His stool is usually softer than can be picked up in one piece, which makes things even more difficult because I can't completely clean the spots he defecated on, which due to his poop-walking, can be a quarter of the yard area at times.

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
soft poop means that the Orijen could be too rich for him. Just because a food is a great food it doesn't mean that every dog will do great on it.
The soft pudding poops can increase his walking and pooping

1 - 9 of 9 Posts