German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys this is my first time on a forum. I want to hear your thoughts / comments on my girl I rescued from a shelter in August 2019. She's estimated to be 5, and has some grey as she is all black with brown paws. All I know is she was a lost and found and the owner signed her over when the shelter contacted him.

-Someone worked with her wherever she was because she is very obedient. She is also very loyal and sweet.

-Stubborn with toys as she won't drop them unless you spend a while giving her commands and patience.

-Often growls at my young boy cat when he walks near her but she has never chased him nor has her fur ever stood up when growling. It's more of a low pitched growl.

-Pees a little when told to sit but she does not do it every time.

there are other quirks I could list but that's all for now. I can list other things if anyone comments. All in all though she is a very smart/loyal dog and I am very lucky to have her.

thoughts on the growl with the cat / peeing when told to sit?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Welcome, how lucky you both found each other. My youngest girl grumbles and talks, about everything. Maybe that is your dog's version of chatting especially since she doesn't chase or agitate the cat. The peeing could be submission, so hard to tell with a rescue.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I don't think dogs always get along with cats. Sorry but it just doesn't always work out.

The peeing is the dog being a bit shy or submissive. It is not uncommon. I would recommend being relaxed when you give the sit command to try and prevent the urination.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome, how lucky you both found each other. My youngest girl grumbles and talks, about everything. Maybe that is your dog's version of chatting especially since she doesn't chase or agitate the cat. The peeing could be submission, so hard to tell with a rescue.
yes, so hard to tell what happened with her but figured I would mention it. She will do it here and there and I do not scold her for it but will just say no in a gentle way. As for the cat, she licks him gently and cuddles with him often but it is just that in between time that gets my attention and makes me wonder.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think dogs always get along with cats. Sorry but it just doesn't always work out.

The peeing is the dog being a bit shy or submissive. It is not uncommon. I would recommend being relaxed when you give the sit command to try and prevent the urination.
I have tried the command a couple different ways to see what is going on. It seems if i am too gentle she doesn't listen, but when it is firm she gets it. I did just get her in August so it has not been a year yet and so hoping this is just a kink we can work out. I do wonder at her age though.

·
Registered
70 Posts
She's a cutie. Thank you for adopting an unwanted puppy dog. I'd ask the vet about her peeing, doesn't sound malicious, perhaps it's just one of those things she doesn't even know she's doing. As to the cat - some days we all just don't want to be bothered with someone else's silliness. Jake never growled but if Ellie got too silly/uppity he would show her his big teeth. Just sending a message. Hard to tell the age of a shelter dog. I think sometimes they are given an age that will help them get adopted. It's a guess. All shelter dogs come with a certain amount of baggage, just give her a great life and she will appreciate it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She's a cutie. Thank you for adopting an unwanted puppy dog. I'd ask the vet about her peeing, doesn't sound malicious, perhaps it's just one of those things she doesn't even know she's doing. As to the cat - some days we all just don't want to be bothered with someone else's silliness. Jake never growled but if Ellie got too silly/uppity he would show her his big teeth. Just sending a message. Hard to tell the age of a shelter dog. I think sometimes they are given an age that will help them get adopted. It's a guess. All shelter dogs come with a certain amount of baggage, just give her a great life and she will appreciate it.
@Buckelke thank you!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I wonder if the peeing could be some spay incontinence? Does she do it in her sleep too? I think spay incontinence is treatable with medication.

·
Registered
98 Posts
...and she is very lucky to have you too.

Thanks for sharing, we're looking forward to seeing a pic of her.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts