German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! My 5 year old was neutered 10 days ago. He has a couple times a day he will let out a cry when changing positions. He will then go back to normal behavior. Is it normal to still be having discomfort? I’m contacting our vet tomorrow. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
9,228 Posts
it is not normal, no.
i’ve actually never experienced a dog cry out in pain following the procedure even immediately post surgery. i’d be concerned.
how does his incision site look? and how is he acting otherwise?

Reactions: JonRob

·
Registered
10,744 Posts
I would have him checked by the vet, but keep in mind that at five years old the procedure is far more painful and will take longer to heal than if it is done to a six-month-old pup. So, yes, that area might still be painful after only 10 days.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
My male was neutered at 3 years. He was extremely miserable for about 2 days after the procedure, but recovered quickly after that. And he never yelped in pain, was just restless and had trouble getting comfortable.

Yes, VET, as soon as possible!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He saw the vet on Friday who did some range of motion with both hips and said he was a little resistant on the left. He suspected arthritis- started Carprofen and glucosamine. Friday night he was crying even more so I called the vet and he called in Tramadol. We gave that but after a few hours he had no change so we took him to emergency. They took him back and did a physical exam and diagnosed a scrotal seroma. She said she saw no issues with his hips. She prescribed even stronger pain meds. This morning he was so afraid to get up and cried. My normal vet came in on an off day to see him today and still thinks it’s something with his left leg/hip. He’s going in the morning to have xrays under anesthesia. I contacted the breeder- his dad lived to 14.5 and mom is 11 both with no problems. 2 liter mates also healthy. I’ve been such a mess thinking the worst. One day he was normal and since then he just lays around afraid to get up. He doesn’t lift his leg/cry every time- mostly just when he’s been laying for quite a while. When he’s up it seems like he walks it off and is normal until he lays down again. Any other thoughts? I will update tomorrow after xrays!

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
My lab who was just neutered did yipe one time a day or 2 right after. I am sure he just tweaked his incision somehow. He healed up fine.

10 days post op something is definitely wrong and I'm glad you're trying to get to the bottom of it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts