German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a 5 week old gsd pup, I know really young, I couldn't help but feel bad for this little guy. My fiancé and I found him on Craigslist, called and asked for info on the pups and asked when they would be ready, old guy said it was an accident litter and couldn't take care of pups, mom had dried up and he needed the pups gone :( there was two left and he said the others were gone quickly, upset set me that he didn't seem to care it was to early to separate pups from mom. Anyways our pup diesel is having very bad watery poop squirts, he's eating and drinking fine, doesn't have any signs of being sick or slowing down, poop doesn't have strong odor or strange color, just kind of worried about him. Any advice???

·
Registered
721 Posts
Take him to the vet. It could be almost anything from parasites to parvo.

·
Registered
31,906 Posts
There is a lot of changes, from the water you are giving the dog, to living with your people and not the litter, food, and the whole nine yards.

Stress often causes the coccidia dogs have in them to flare up and create diarrhea. I would definitely have them check for coccidia, and if your dog has it, give you some albon to knock it out.

Other possibilities is worms, or a variety of diseases. Coccidia and worms are the easiest to deal with and pretty much expected.

You do not want to vaccinate when the puppy is sick, but even if the yayhoo gave the first shots already, your pup is probably not protected as it was probably still under its mother's immunity. And the shots would not have worked.

So, you need to get the diarrhea under control and then start going through the puppy series of vaccinations. In the mean time be VERY careful with your pup. Don't take him to pet stores. And unless it is necessary, do not put him down at the vets -- certainly not in the waiting room.

This pup is susceptible to illness at this time, and some of those illnesses are deadly, like parvo.

Good luck with your puppy.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
mom dog dried up because her care was marginal , which will be reflected in the health of your too young dog . Go to the vet and get on a plan to improve his entire health and social health profile.
don't over stimulate the pup who at this age would be sleeping a major portion of the day.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I hope he turns out fine. I do have to question why you were so eager to buy this pup from what seems to be a backyard breeder and at such an early age. He could very well open up Pandoras box when it comes to health issues.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'd take the pup to the vet and get on a plan with them of what to do. We got ours at 4 weeks same situation and they set up a helpful plan with us and gave some antibiotics and fed her 4 times a day and she turned right around. She is 12 weeks now and is doing great! Completly healthy and full of energy. Also if you can keep the pup inside as much as you can so it doesn't catch anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts