German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Natsu is growing like a weed and finally darkening up :) And holy heck he's a gangly awkward thing right now.

4 1/2 Months

5 Months

Free stacking attempt... we're working on it. :p

·
Registered
303 Posts
I don't know anything about stacking GSD's (sorry) but I had to compliment you on his color. He's got an incredible red tint to his sable. He's gorgeous!

·
Registered
371 Posts
What a beautiful dog! Can I ask how you're teaching to stand in the stacked position like that? I'm having a REALLY hard time getting my girl to bring up the one foot without sitting completely. Do you have a trick to it, or just practice, practice, practice?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When teaching him to stack I don't focus on teaching him the leg position, I focus on teaching him to not move his feet, even if I manipulate him. We started out very basic with a leash and a treat in front of him. If he held his feet still, he was heavily rewarded, if he moved out of position I'd just say "Nope" and reset him. Praise a lot while they are holding still, and when you release them to move don't make a big deal out of it. Once he's doing well I just started moving on foot at a time and rewarding him from not moving it from wherever I put it. We were able to move up to all feet pretty fast though.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
When teaching him to stack I don't focus on teaching him the leg position, I focus on teaching him to not move his feet, even if I manipulate him. We started out very basic with a leash and a treat in front of him. If he held his feet still, he was heavily rewarded, if he moved out of position I'd just say "Nope" and reset him. Praise a lot while they are holding still, and when you release them to move don't make a big deal out of it. Once he's doing well I just started moving on foot at a time and rewarding him from not moving it from wherever I put it. We were able to move up to all feet pretty fast though.
Going to have to try that tomorrow, hopefully it works!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts