German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, just as the subject says, we have a 5 month old GSD that won't leave our 11 year old lab. As you can see in the video, he will jump on and nip the lab non-stop. Most of the time the lab ignores it, but lately (this video is 1 month old) he's starting to get fed up and it turns into a rough play.

I've tried telling him to leave it, redirecting to a toy, putting him in time out, etc. I know this is a german shepherds way of playing but I'm a little worried he's showing too much dominant behavior? He will stand his front paws on the labs back often too. They are also both protective of toys when each other have them.

Thank you for any help!

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
that is one seriously tolerant lab and normal behaviour for a pup, the problem is the lab is because of the age difference it imo is basically cruelty to the lab. that is like a bouncy teen tipping grandma out of her wheelchair to force her to play with her. that lab deserves more respect and some peace at that age for what seems a nice old dog.

i would stop it right quick.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Wow !! That's why they say labs are great dogs as well. I feel it's just that excited puppy mentality, I have a 8 month old "Mieka" and 2 month old "Millie" and mieka has always been a laid back puppy and Millie is always in "go,go,go" mode . I think it will pass if the lab ever shows a strong sign to stop toward the puppy. From the looks of the lab, head up and tail wagging that he/she is happy regardless what is happening. Only time will tell. Good luck!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should add that the lab looooves playing fetch so he was focused on me with the ball. He normally turns and does a little stop trying to tell him to stop but the puppy will never stop until I step in and pull him away.

So there isn't really anything I can do until Loki grows out of it?

If you watch at the end of the video, the lab sits down on Loki's head! That at least made Loki stop for a few seconds. haha

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
You have got to protect your lab before the puppy accidentally hurts him. The gsd's behavior is normal but he will get bigger and his puppy antics will soon be too much for your lab.

Here's something I really regret: I adopted a very energetic 5 month old gsd x acd. My older rottie mix was very tolerant of him but he was really too much for her. Several times he jumped on her back in play or knocked into her and hurt her. If I were to do it over again I would have taken them out separately or kept Kai on a leash when he was out in the backyard with Chama.

How much exercise is your pup getting? How much socialization with other dogs? I would find an outlet for all of his energy that is away from your lab.

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
prolly not as bad as i first felt on first view, i did think it was allowed to go too much, if the pup backs off when the lab is not so focussed on the ball and the lab tells him off then i guess not a major problem.

you could be setting yr pup up to play like that with all dogs and won't be long when you come across one that will not tolerate it, thats if you let yr dogs loose with other dogs.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
not fair to the senior citizen dog . he is being mauled. This is one of the reasons I won't sell a pup to a home with an older dog . Better manage the young GSD before the Lab , rightfully , draws a line in the sand and retaliates .

you are also missing out establishing a relationship with the GSD because he is focusing all his play with the other dog. Too doggy. You're calling hey come here , the lab escapes and the GSD hasn't even so much as looked at you , or the ball, goes running after the Lab.

You'll experience a lot more effort in training the GSD .

By the way congrats on having a lab with this age , and congrats for a lab that looks to be in great condition.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I've had this problem too... Except my poor senior is 15-16 years old. I know Berlin is just trying to play, but he doesn't understand she's old and she i think has trouble letting him know she doesn't like it. I have no advice, I Have to take mine out separately, and separate them if Berlin is trying to play. Otherwise, the other 75% of the time, they're fine. Anyone know why gsds like to bite and pull on other dogs feet like that?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Yes - I would try to train him to do better (rewarding for and marking positive behaviors), but if that did not work (and he's young so it would be difficult but is possible), he would not be allowed to continue this behavior. I am sometimes too patient, but have none when it comes to bugging old dogs. :)

It's herding/prey behavior. I have a herding breed mix - it's like someone was trying to make the most diabolically bossy dog they could, and he is a leg yanker. But he's not allowed to do it with any dog who doesn't want to play with him. 01 Herding Dog Heritage - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts