German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My non GSD puppy, 1/2 rotti 1/2 basset (we think) that we rescued from a shelter has been an excellent, smart dog. However, I took her on a pretty long walk the other day, maybe 2 miles. Three quarters of the way through this walk, she started limping slightly from her hind right leg. Once we got her home, she was tired, but seemed totally fine, so we kept an eye on her. The next day, her bottom lip was really swollen, and we suspected that she had been stung by a bee, but took her in the Vet. to make darn sure. So we were right, she was stung by a bee, but we also had the Vet. check her hips. After feeling around on her for 10+ minutes, she said that she has never seen such a young dog with hips this bad. She said that this is something she would typically see on a 12 year old basset hound. So my poor little girl is now on Glucosamine, Yukka, Omega 3 and Vitamin C. Does anybody have any other suggestions for things that I can do to help slow down the inevitable? It also makes me nervous since we will be getting out GSD puppy in a month or so, and knowing how puppies play and rough house, I'm worried that she will continue to hurt her hips.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Vitamin C.... there is an article on it for hips somewhere in the forums. But the Calcium Abscorbate... ESTER C version.

Powell

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Hi there! I also have a young dog with very bad hips. I suspect in his case it is because he was genetically predisposed and he did not have proper nutrition as a pup. He is on this product and it has helped a lot.

http://www.springtimeinc.com/product/121/2

I also have him on Ester C.

Walking and swimming are the best exercise for hip dysplasia. i walk Rafi 4-6 miles a day.

There are also surgeries available that can make a huge difference. My first dog had a total hip replacement at age 5 and she lived to be almost 12.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
go to market america
pet opc it does wonders I have seen it work

·
Registered
250 Posts
Exercises to strengthen the muscles around the hips are good too. Low impact exercises like swimming or short walks uphill.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Doesn't anyone else think it strange that this vet pronounced this puppy's hips severely dysplastic just by "feeling"? What ever happened to taking an x-ray? I'm sure he had a reason for saying this, poor muscle tone or whatever, but I would sure want an x-ray to actually look at the hips before I freaked out over it.

Just my opinion.................

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Yes, that's true. I would wait to do the x-ray until the dog is about a year though. And the supplements and exercise are still very important.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I agree. I'd want some x-rays. At 5 months old, the growth plates aren't even solid. An orthopedic vet wouldn't even do diagnostic hip x-rays on a puppy this young. The symptoms your dog has could be a soft tissue injury, muscle straing, pano, or...who knows. Or the vet could be right. But diagnosing HD by feel seems a little iffy to me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That was my thought as well. I had requested an x-ray, but she wanted us to wait until Lena was 1 year. After we had first gotten Lena I was visiting with the breeder/vet that we are going to soon be purchasing our new GSD puppy from. She had felt Lena's hips as well and said that we should really keep an eye out because she suspected that we were in for some hip problems. So I guess i wasn't shocked when the Vet. here told us that her hips were not good, I was shocked that she said that they were so bad. But in all honesty, I'm just glad that my wife and I rescued her, and we are willing and able to provide her with whatever she will need to be healthy and comfortable. It scares me to think what could have happened if somebody else would have adopted her and maybe not cared enough to take her into the Vet and to give her the care that she needs.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The vet that I switched from recently had a very bad habit of making errorneous diagnoses. She tended to speak before she had all the facts in front of her. It happens.

Not saying your puppy doesn't have issues...its just been my experience that some vets are not entirely infallible.

·
Super Moderator
7,700 Posts
well just my understanding is that the vet didnt actually diagnose this pup with HD (that has to be done thru x rays) but she's letting you know that something is up and there is definite cause for concern. supplementing your dog now until she's old enough for x rays cant hurt... then when you have more info - you can move forward from there. its just 7months... ya know
good luck with her!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts