German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our puppy has been beaten up twice by older dogs (once there were no physical wounds but the second time he was nipped on the mouth/tongue and bled), and now he’s very skittish around other dogs. We just brought him around another very calm, very well trained GSD and while their interaction was overall manageable, our puppy was not just barking out of excitement and puppy energy, but showing his teeth. Would it be best to keep bringing him around other dogs we KNOW are friendly and rewarding him when he’s being calm? Or are there other ways you would recommend to handle this behavior?

·
Super Moderator
6,272 Posts
I would continue to socialize him with known, calm, stable dogs... but through walks, let physical contact be much later, on his terms, when he feels confident and comfortable to approach.

Roughly something like this...

Walking with distance-
Walking a bit closer-
Walking with the stable dog slightly ahead so that your puppy can steal a quick rear sniff if he wants-
Walking side by side with occasional sniffs and body bumps-
(always rewarding for good behavior at each of these steps)
Then if you’d like, you can progress to hanging out in a park together, just relaxing in each other’s presence, then off leash (drag leash) in a small area where your pup is confident... etc etc - just building off your success and letting him experience that dogs are no big deal - no pressure / expectation / conflict of play...

ETA: I’d also limit the amount of new dogs he’s meeting until he’s got some successful encounters under his belt.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Be patient with that first step, using distance. Don't be in a rush. Something I'd want to keep in mind is not creating a perception in him that his snapping or baring teeth gains him anything like chasing off the other dog. Lots of practice with everything being calm and indifferent, nothings a big deal. Distance whether its 10 yards or 5 feet, whatever he needs will make it easier.

·
Super Moderator
6,272 Posts
Excellent point that Steve brings up...

If he starts showing his teeth, sometimes the natural response to realizing that you went to fast is to have the scary thing go farther away - in that scenario, he wins, barking and snapping made the scary thing go away (in his mind). If you find yourself in this situation, I’d either move your pup father away, or ideally, maintain the distance and just walk it out.... carry that information into the NEXT session and start again at the farther distance. Hope that makes sense.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts