German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5 month old GSD December 23rd I noticed ther change in her she as not eating wouldn't come out of her kennel. I went into the kennel being worried about this behavior I knew right then she was real sick off to the vet we went 106.7 fever after running labs white cell count 130.000 10 x higher then normal they started I.V. fluids right away along with X-rays shots of antibiotics 24 hours in the hospital fever broke but NO answers on what and why they told me they saw a shadow around the lung but could not really tell I asked straight forward is it cancer I was told NO shes too young for it ?? when you touch her sides she seems to turn her head as if its sore but check up x -rays show nothing. re-check due later this week for another lab to check white cell count they checked her for parvo blood in stools worm check negitive then when re-done 24th came back whip worm $ 700.00 + later I dont have any answers on why. she is not her self far from it I have four other GSD and her Grandmother the night prior to her getting sick moaned and did this horrible death howling all night . I am worried sick over this I asked can my other GSD get what ever this is ?? I asked about rocky mountain fever I have been looking for an answer since she got sick nothing makes sense she is loosing 5 baby teeth plus they told me she has a split upper right gum Teething on the corner of her dog house . what toxins can cause whats going on the doctors keep telling well that still does not explain the fever or the cell count being so high its as if two things are going on Im just heart broken and worried to death over my baby girl

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I had something similiar with Garth a number of years ago. High temp, weight loss, etc. My vet ran every test under the sun and nothing (they thought tick born disease as well). They finally sent me to the referal center (bascially a speciality vet hospital that you can only get into if a vet refers you). After another 2 grand (4 grand total spent) they decidied it was autoimmune. He had a spot on his lungs as well.

Initially he was placed on very high doses of pred then gradually back down to a dose of 5mg every other day for life. It never recurred but he was on it for life. This all happened when he had just turned 1yr.

Three years later his leg was shattered and after 3 surgeries to save it, they had to amputate. Ten grand plus the 4 grand on the autoimmune. I was up to 14,000 just in special vet bills, but he was worth every dime.

Two years later at the age of 6 I lost him to bload. RIP Garth.

All that to say alert your vet to possible autoimmune disease.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply I am so sorry for your lost, I have another GSD Male 3 years old that was going to be a stud . But ended up diagnosed with perianal fistulas He has had 2 surgeries one year apart, At first they demanded to amputate is tail and neuter him I told them NO way I'm not cutting him up After research nothing told me that what they wanted to do was any where close to being part of a cure for it. Yes I did make my Vet upset when I told him according to research those procedures were old school. The tail stays cropped low NO proof that this is hereditary only speculations But I will not breed him if for one second chance it could be I love Heintz so very much. I continue to ask them about any other medications that can be used to stop the break outs. The ones required are the same used for organ transplants very high dollar out of this single moms reach for sure. back to Gretchen I am going to look into the autoimmune right now and what connections it has with what Heintz has

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
When I used to work at the vet school, there were a phenomenal number of dogs that came in with fevers of unknown origin. It was very frustrating. We never did find out what caused it and were just happy to make the dog better. The dogs never did come back with that problem again.

One of my own puppies did this at 10 weeks of age and had a fever as high as yours. Never did find out what was wrong with him, but he did get better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Elaine & alpha mom This really has been driving me crazy called the Vet again which I know they are sick of me calling but oh well She told me that by the end of the week they would like to run another CBC panel to check her blood count then get another chest x-ray I told her about my concern of her not eating as if she is not able to chew They told me its because of loose teeth. in 30 years I have never had a dog do this. First time in I stated my concern with possible object with in the mouth 3 vets looked nothing from what they could see but pup was not willing to allow them to really get a good look . Last night I put warm water in her puppy chow she went to town on it Today they said she should not be having that much trouble with her mouth hmm ya think oh yes I did forget to mention on the 23rd they dropped her off the table nose first into the floor she came back to me bleeding heavily from the left nostril. well its time for me to head out to my kennels work the dogs clean & feed them take Gretchen for a slow walk to see how her breathing is this afternoon prayers needed for sure worried to death in VA.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Spots on lungs make me think of fungal infections....

The rest sounds like a tick disease though....are they trying a trial of doxycycline? Have they run any tick tests?

eta: just read about the bleeding from the nostril - get this dog on doxy ASAP while the vets are dinking around. There are at least three types of ehrlichias that can cause this, and it can be fatal :(

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I have no advice but sending prayers. I hope your baby gets well soon.

They dropped her off the table?? Really??? Is there another vet close that you can get another opinion?

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I am little confused here. Is your dog still sick? Is she living in a kennel while she is sick?

If you could break your posts up in paragraphs it would be easier to follow.

Also, I think you need to find a new vet!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts