German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive read a few of the 5 month old threads about them 'testing' their limits and such, but my problem is slightly different.

Reese just turned 5 months recently and has been on cephalexin (i think thats how its spelled) for the past month because of a rash that he had on his stomach which has since cleared up but under the recommendation of the vet will continue to give him the med until his prescription is up (in about a week). When we last brought him in for a check up he had some redness on his backside and has been itching pretty bad and our vet recommended fish oil (1 pill a day) which we have begun to give him. Up until the last week we have had very few accidents in the house, but in the last week (since we started giving him the fish oil) he has pee'd and pooped several times in the house and when he poops, he immediately eats it.

he had also had to poop 5x a day, when as before we started the fish oil it was 2x a day, right after he ate. we think this is all from the fish oil, but want to know if there is something else that we can possibly give him that wont cause him to poop as much?

Sorry for the long post, just felt that the background info was important.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Hi!
In my opinion
It could be that he has the 'poops' from being on the meds so long.
As for the fish oil...are you just puncturing the cap & squirting into his food or trying to make him swallow the whole thing? ( I just puncture mine).

You may want to look at this link on the med....

Cephalexin for Dogs Side Effects | The Daily Puppy

just a thought.

Hope it gets better soon? :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I give him the whole pill. Put it in his food bowl in the morning and he eats it without issue. Should I just cut it up and drop the oil into his food instead of letting him eat the whole pill?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts