German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5 month old male GSD is constantly biting at our hands and feet (playfully) but it seems he should be growing out of this a little? It’s all the time, like I cannot even pet him without him trying to bite at my hand. He also chases peoples feet while walking. How do I break him of this?? Thanks!!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Have you tried giving him toys to redirect him? Our 15 week male is becoming quite a bit relaxed when it comes to biting at this point but every dog is different. He still will bite once or twice before calming down. Our girl was a bit more stubborn as I remember and would act out every now and then around 4 or 5 months.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you tried giving him toys to redirect him? Our 15 week male is becoming quite a bit relaxed when it comes to biting at this point but every dog is different. He still will bite once or twice before calming down. Our girl was a bit more stubborn as I remember and would act out every now and then around 4 or 5 months.
Yes he has many types of toys and enjoys them but when he’s around us he just can’t help himself! It’s totally frustrating I thought by now he would be improving some but he’s the same as he was as a new puppy.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yes he has many types of toys and enjoys them but when he’s around us he just can’t help himself! It’s totally frustrating I thought by now he would be improving some but he’s the same as he was as a new puppy.
I understand it can be frustrating and seem never ending! What I mean is when he bites do you reach down and put a toy in his mouth? I would suggest saying no, and removing his mouth (putting a toy in it) and playing tug with the toy with him a little. Try and make the toy more fun than your hand / foot etc. Giving plenty of chews and chances for him to let off steam also will help. What's his daily routine like?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand it can be frustrating and seem never ending! What I mean is when he bites do you reach down and put a toy in his mouth? I would suggest saying no, and removing his mouth (putting a toy in it) and playing tug with the toy with him a little. Try and make the toy more fun than your hand / foot etc. Giving plenty of chews and chances for him to let off steam also will help. What's his daily routine like?
Oh ok I haven’t tried it like that, good idea though! His routine is, sleeps in crate inside all night, early morning goes out to his pen for breakfast, couple hours in the pen and then we let him out for fetch, walks, running around yard. Then pen again, then dinner, then inside the house to hang out with us til bedtime, then back to crate.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Is your pen outside? Could be he has a lot of pent up energy. Not sure how much actual time he gets actually walking / training / playing etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts