German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5 month old Gsd male kolby went to the vet yesterday. The vet said he appeared to be in good health however he was on the small side. He weighed in at 39 lbs. He was on Purina puppy but I have since switched him to authority grain free from pet smart. His sister is on royal canin gsd formula dry food and is 10 lbs ahead of him. She is taller, longer, with more muscle and denser bones. Her coat is also much softer. How long before my boy will catch up or have I stunted his growth with a low quality food?

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
The pics are a little dark, but from what I can see he looks fine. Going with better quality food is always a good idea, not sure where Authorty ranks.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I want to say my youngest was about the same weight at that age. He has always been lean. Right now he is 18 months and 72 pounds. I don't really want him over 80 pounds when he fills out. He is lean and well muscled. A good food is always recommended. Dogfoodadvisor.com is a pretty good site to find one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The pics are a little dark, but from what I can see he looks fine. Going with better quality food is always a good idea, not sure where Authorty ranks.
Thanks I just hope we can catch up with his sister.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I want to say my youngest was about the same weight at that age. He has always been lean. Right now he is 18 months and 72 pounds. I don't really want him over 80 pounds when he fills out. He is lean and well muscled. A good food is always recommended. Dogfoodadvisor.com is a pretty good site to find one.
That website gives my dog food a 4 star rating so I'm going to stick with it. He seems to be taking well to it so.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
He looks fine to me! Don't be concerned with him catching up to his sister. He will be as big as he is supposed to be. Whatever you do, don't over feed your boy with the hopes of making him larger. All that will do is make him fatter, not bigger. And that is really bad for his health.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He looks fine to me! Don't be concerned with him catching up to his sister. He will be as big as he is supposed to be. Whatever you do, don't over feed your boy with the hopes of making him larger. All that will do is make him fatter, not bigger. And that is really bad for his health.
this is his sis, she's gorgeous too.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
That website gives my dog food a 4 star rating so I'm going to stick with it. He seems to be taking well to it so.

Just let him grow at a slower rate, it is better for him. Coconut or fish oil might help his coat of that is a concern.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts