German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! We recently adopted a 5 month old German Shepherd / Husky pup. She came to us as a pretty timid pup and we are pretty sure she spent the last couple months of her life mostly in a crate. She has gotten more confident and learning commands well in the three weeks we have had her. She had not used her voice once during the first week she was with us and then she began “talking back” when she wanted things (I’ve read it’s pretty common for husky’s) and now suddenly she barks non stop at guests! I am pretty sure she needs more socialization but not sure what the best form of it would be. Should I just begin taking her in stores that allow dogs or just invite people over more often? She is definitely barking in fear, she jumps/runs when strangers reach to her but not aggressive in any way. Obviously we don’t want the fear to lead to aggression so we want to begin healing as soon as possible. Anyone with similar experience or suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
7,635 Posts
Love those bright eyes! The best way to help her with her fear is not to flood her with meet and greets.Observing at a comfortable distance and rewarding her each time she glances at you for reassurance is a tried and true method. She really doesn't need to be everyone's best friend, only accept that they exist in the background and you won't allow them to handle her unless she chooses to.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Love those bright eyes! The best way to help her with her fear is not to flood her with meet and greets.Observing at a comfortable distance and rewarding her each time she glances at you for reassurance is a tried and true method. She really doesn't need to be everyone's best friend, only accept that they exist in the background and you won't allow them to handle her unless she chooses to.
Thank you!

·
Registered
614 Posts
I would crate her initially when people come over so she can feel safe and get used the people present while everyone ignores her. Then I would introduce her on a leash to one guest at a time, who would mostly ignore her until she is comfortable.

Juno (GSD 14 months) still goes in the crate when I am expecting guests as does my ACD/beagle mix because he is a submissive pee-er (how do you spell that word?)

·
Registered
10,568 Posts
Some dogs are not social butterflies,, and there is no need for her to interact with your guests. Crate her when they come over. It’s better for the guests, and certainly better for the dog who does not need the stress.

If you want to get her used to things, start very slowly and start from a comfortable distance.
For example, sit on a park bench, sit on the leash so she has to sit next to you, and feed her treats as she watches the world go by. If she shows signs of stress, move farther away.
Set her up for success. Encounters with guests that reach out to her and make her scared and turn tail are bad experiences that she will remember, so don’t allow her to have them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts