German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just curious about my 5 month old female sable shepherd, I got her and her brother from a reputable breeder. The male we have has had his ears up since 9 weeks and they have never gone down, the female Suki has only had them up infrequently and not for very long, for the last couple of months one is down and the other is up and then this week she is doing like a flying nun with both ears out to the side. Is this normal? Will they ever stand on their own? Either way she is quickly becoming my best friend but these are the first shepherds I've owned and not very experienced on the ear stuff...

Thank you for any insight!!!!!!

·
Registered
247 Posts
They should come up soon. My pup was 5 months when her ears came up. Just try not to mess with her ears and don’t let anything or anyone else either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They should come up soon. My pup was 5 months when her ears came up. Just try not to mess with her ears and don’t let anything or anyone else either.
I haven't wanted to touch them and just let her do her thing, just curious since her brother's have been up and stayed up.
Thank you!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Every dog is different. Try not to compare the two. You pup is doing fine and her ears should come up without any help. If they have been up before, they should come up and stay. Try not to be too impatient. Many here, including me, have or have had pups that didn't have erect ears until 9 months old or older.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have seen sibling's ears come up with months difference of each other. However, at 5 months I'd start to worry myself. Our recent pup's ears came up around 5 and half months while his sisters came up at 8 weeks and stayed up. Good luck with the ears.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have seen sibling's ears come up with months difference of each other. However, at 5 months I'd start to worry myself. Our recent pup's ears came up around 5 and half months while his sisters came up at 8 weeks and stayed up. Good luck with the ears.
Today she is 5 1/2 months, I did yesterday buy something called ear forms from a website called prodogz. Would now be the time to use them or should I wait until she hits 6 months? They are lightweight and foam and don't seem constricting, just sit in the front of the ear. One ear is back up but the left is still flying nun off to the side lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At 7-8 months if they're still not up then chances are that's the way they are
If they end up down that is fine, she is an amazing dog. She loves my kids and is super attentive of them and I couldn't ask for anything more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Every dog is different. Try not to compare the two. You pup is doing fine and her ears should come up without any help. If they have been up before, they should come up and stay. Try not to be too impatient. Many here, including me, have or have had pups that didn't have erect ears until 9 months old or older.
Thank you!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Today she is 5 1/2 months, I did yesterday buy something called ear forms from a website called prodogz. Would now be the time to use them or should I wait until she hits 6 months? They are lightweight and foam and don't seem constricting, just sit in the front of the ear. One ear is back up but the left is still flying nun off to the side lol.
Personally I would wait till 6 months. If they were up at some point there is probably good chance they will still go up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts