German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everywhere I search it seems people are asking how to stop rough play. My question is the opposite. When at the dog park my 5 month old loves to chase and be chased. However when a dog wants to rough house and play with him he cries and runs away. He looks for older calmer dogs to play with. I have had 3 different vets check for leg issues because he bunny hops when running. They have all said hes all legs and still growing. Still I can't help but worry about HD. Especially since he doesn't like rough play. Does anyone else have a dog that doesn't like rough play and are they healthy or have hip/rib issues.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
He's just a baby, it can take them some time before they have enough confidence to play rough with other dogs... Mine did the same around that age, now he loves it.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
your dog is young. he's not ready for rough play. did any of the Vets
take x-rays? my dog bunny hopped on and off untill he was 5 months
old or so.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No not yet. Two vets said to wait until after 8 months. I am going to ask for X-rays when I get him neutered next month or so. (I don't want to neuter yet but city is making me. I'm hding out until my next warning. ) all they did was rub him down, move his legs around, and have me walk and run him.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
It has a lot to do with how well the puppies know the dogs they are rough housing with. I've seen puppies that would bully and rough house a ton with much larger dogs they knew really well, but are sometimes unable to take what they dish out especially when it comes from a dog they just met. I wouldn't be worried about it. Just make sure you intervene to try to keep the experience positive for him.

LA makes you neuter your dogs? Pretty intrusive.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In LA County your dog has to be neutered by 4 months. Fortunately I got a letter from my vet because he refuses to neuter any large breeds before 6 months. So they allowed me to wait. He will be 6 months in two weeks.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I did a little research and it looks like there is an exemption for purebreed dogs if you join a recognized breed club. There are exemptions for competition dogs as well but they have to have titled which pretty much rules out getting a puppy an exemption for that.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did a little research and it looks like there is an exemption for purebreed dogs if you join a recognized breed club. There are exemptions for competition dogs as well but they have to have titled which pretty much rules out getting a puppy an exemption for that.
Yep it rules out my puppy, plus hes from a BYB and has no papers.:confused:

My son says dexter is a wuss, and that I make it worse because im very protective of him at the dog park. He always runs to me and i keep the other dogs away. I know they are only playing with Dexter because they do their bow plays before jumping on him.

I am tying to keep him intact as long as I can because I heard this helps with his nerves. I dont want him to be aggressive so we dont rough house with him at home. Im just wondering what I can do to help him over come this. His hackles are not up when he runs away and he does go right back over to the some of the dogs to play again.but he cries out if other dogs jump on him or try to play bite him.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I would not bring a 5 month old puppy to a dog park. You run the strong risk of him having a bad experience with another dog (very likely in most dog parks, which are usually full of irresponsible owners) and that will turn him dog aggressive FOREVER. This will also adversely affect your bond and trust with him because when he has this bad experience he will blame YOU. You are responsible for keeping him safe. Bottom line, dog parks are not great places, particularly for puppies, and you are going to have a problem if you continue to bring him there. If you want to "socialize" him then you can bring him to the dog park but keep him OUTSIDE of the actual park itself and play with him - get him to FOCUS on you while other people and dogs are around. Teach him that you're the most fun and interesting thing in his life.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Do you absolutely have to bring your your puppy to the dog park??

I would not want unknown rogue type dogs shaping my pups behavior & view of the world.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
you have a pup thats unsure and cries when a dog jumps on him and yet you still bring him to the dog park. yikes. and wanting your dog to play rough at the dog park is a disaster waiting to happen. if something goes wrong during that rough play, your dog will most likely get the blame.

during the first year of my dogs life he only got to play with dogs that i knew. you want to introduce him to all types of dogs/environments but he should just look, not touch and interact with everything.

·
Registered
159 Posts
you have a pup thats unsure and cries when a dog jumps on him and yet you still bring him to the dog park. yikes. and wanting your dog to play rough at the dog park is a disaster waiting to happen. if something goes wrong during that rough play, your dog will most likely get the blame.

during the first year of my dogs life he only got to play with dogs that i knew. you want to introduce him to all types of dogs/environments but he should just look, not touch and interact with everything.
+1
Socialization is the most misunderstood concept in training.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts