German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have little baby Zeek. He's 5 months old. Lately I've been noticing his back legs and all the things that seem unusual so today I got online and I started looking at HD symptoms. And I am almost 100% positive he has HD. It makes me so sad. And I'm going to take him to the vet but for now I have a couple questions. Hes on RAW diet, should I keep him on that? Also I just bought him glucosamine but I was wondering if anyone has any other medicine I could give him for pain? Today he was playing a lot with a couple of other dogs and I noticed him limping his right hip and when I went to open his back legs to see what he was itching at he started crying :/ he never uses his back legs for anything and has a hard time sitting up also he doesn't run, he mostly hops.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Could just be pano, don't worry quite yet. It can happen this young, but isn't too common, from what I hear.

Xrays will be a must, and I would rest him a bit with leashed walks only until you get them.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
The only way to diagnose HD is by xray so don't panic yet. Have the vet check him out. Explain your concerns.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
What does your breeder say?

What are you actually seeing? Limping? Unstablity?

What lines is your puppy from? Many of the showlines are extremely angulated and unstable appearing in the rear during the first year.

TALK TO YOUR BREEDER! It's the reason we do the months of research to get the best breeder, and then pay a bit more. Their experience and knowledge is a huge asset and we should take advantage.

:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What does your breeder say?

What are you actually seeing? Limping? Unstablity?

What lines is your puppy from? Many of the showlines are extremely angulated and unstable appearing in the rear during the first year.

TALK TO YOUR BREEDER! It's the reason we do the months of research to get the best breeder, and then pay a bit more. Their experience and knowledge is a huge asset and we should take advantage.

:)
I can't even get a hold of the breeder anymore I feel so stupid. I mean obviously I am going to do everything I can to help my pup and not give up on it. I'm trying not to freak out but it's a little bit hard. I got him in for an XRAY next Wednesday so we're going to see. It's going to break my heart if he has it already so young, I just hope he isn't in any pain or anything. He was limping yesterday but maybe it was because he was at my partner's mom's house with another puppy playing around and he was sore? He isn't limping today. He doesn't really run like other dogs and puppies, he hops and even then he doesn't as much as other dogs. When he's getting up in the car or the bed he can't really get up he only uses his front legs and doesn't do anything with his back legs to push himself up.

·
Banned
367 Posts
my dog used to have a limp around 5-6 months too. both times was after he went to the dog park. he would limp for 2-3 days and have a hard time getting up. i thought he had hd. it could just be that your dog strained something? or just growing pains? my dog hasnt limped since and runs like a horse

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
lift your dog and put him in the car. help your dog get on and off
the bed. limit his exercise and play. no jumping.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
You know about Pano? Pretty common in our breed and they just grow out of it. Vet's without alot of knowledge with the breed may even recommend surgery but that's NOT for pano so we need to be aware of what's going on ....

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Even if it is HD, that's not a death sentence. My dog Massie was diagnosed with severe bilateral HD at under a year old. She had a salvage surgery on one hip at about a year old and a total hip replacement on the other hip at about 5 years old. She lived to be just under 12 years old and died of something unrelated.

You are doing the right thing by getting x-rays. Once you get a diagnosis you can figure out the best way to help him! Hang in there!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts