German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,134 Posts
Originally Posted By: 3K9MomAround here, enforcement is pretty lax, unless someone complains. So I can take my dogs into a fenced in baseball field at my local park for example.
I wish!!! There's an elementary school right around the corner from me with a big playground, and it's got a chain link fence around the entire property with "NO DOGS" signs prominently displayed. Since it's completely locked up during non-school hours it's a moot point - nobody can get in, dog or no dog. The most I've done there is to walk Halo up and down the steps outside the fence.

Right next to that is a large rec center with playgrounds, a basketball court, and a baseball field. Again, prominent "NO DOGS" signs. I push it a little by walking up to the edge of the baseball field through the parking lot and doing some training next to the fence. I've done down stays and attention exercises during practices, worked on "leave it" with equipment bags, and played with Halo on the bleachers.

I've also used the walkways up to and around the building and worked next to the basketball court while kids are playing, but since I stay off the grass and don't actually go onto the court or the field, nobody has said anything to me about it. I'm pretty sure if I were to take my dogs out in the middle of the baseball field to throw a ball for them it would be noticed and I'd be told to leave, even if it wasn't being used at the time.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Originally Posted By: Cassidys Mom
Originally Posted By: 3K9MomAround here, enforcement is pretty lax, unless someone complains. So I can take my dogs into a fenced in baseball field at my local park for example.
I wish!!!
Ditto! No such luck here either. I've seen AC go to the parks just to see if people have their dogs off leash.

We have also gone to one of those smaller dog parks (it is like 3 miles from our house, vs half an hour + to the larger dog beach or a larger dog park), although we haven't been in awhile - my dogs didn't seem to do much exercising there and it wasn't worth it. We mostly went in the morning (early) and knew all the owners and dogs. Sometimes we went at night and you saw a lot of the same dogs there each time too.

The closest park/forrest type place that allows off leash dogs is about an hour away, and too hot to visit during the summer

Like Debbie - we take what we can get around here!

·
Super Moderator
6,502 Posts
my situation is pretty similar to 3K9,

in 10yrs only once was i stopped for having Gia off leash, and it was on the sidewalk in a commercial area. at the park that i take Tilden to regularly - last summer there was an a/c officer that came and issued tickets (at a time that i wasn't there) because people in the neighborhood were complaining about the dogs being off leash there daily during our play groups. for about a quarter mile the park takes up one side of the street and the other side is houses. i can definitely see how it can be particularly annoying to the home owners having to double check when pulling in or back out to make sure you don't hit a dog... or the barking... or knowing that this very convenient park (maybe the reason you even moved to the neighborhood) has pee and poo residue everywhere which prevents your kids from playing comfortably... or just the simple fact that you cant be comfortable in the park with your children and up to 20 dogs running off leash. so someone finally video taped us, and rallied up all the neighbors to call. can't blame them!

other than that tho - any park around here that is large enough - i let my dogs off leash. this also includes sports fields, schools, and just random land that i come across.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts