German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I hope you are all well. I noticed about 10 days ago my 5 month old American Show line was walking funny, so I took him to the animal hospital. The vet and surgeon said everything is fine and he will walk normally once he grows into his body more. However his walking is still worrying me. He's about 68lbs, isn't in any pain, is eating well, and is pooping normally. Here is a video of him walking, any ideas?

https://youtu.be/dFvf8EQ9o7E

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
that has absolutely nothing to do with the dog being young and needing to "grow into his body:.

get another Vet. Seriouisly. I mean , have they lost the concept of normal functional movement.

Get an x ray . get an x ray of the spine.

the dog has no co-ordination .

can you do a video of the dog walking across the screen , not away from?

sorry this is happening to you.

·
Super Moderator
2,517 Posts
Doesn't look normal at all, you definitely need to get him to a good veterinarian.

Call your local GSD Club or GSD Rescue and ask for a referral for a vet they recommend, if you don't have someone in your personal dog network to ask.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
need a side view

the dogs spine looks arched and looks bony - spondylitis?

the dogs loin area (stomach) looks concave - the dog does look
cow hocked -- but at the moment that is not all that is going on -- the dog
looks like it is disabled , walking as if wearing a brace or hobble which prevents
that rear from going under him .

go through everything including feed, possible exposure to toxins, (garden products)
check in with breeder I can't help but think of the image of polio victims that had a brace
and crutch .

I would have zero faith in the vet who said the dog ws normal. He / She needs to be called up by
the governing body for Vets - license to practice put into jeopardy.

Find a GOOD vet -- get bloodwork done -- check to see if you have some spirochetal disease,
co-infections of lyme . (blood work - live cell microscopy)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would be contacting your breeder ASAP for 1 because they need to know whats going on and 2 because they probably have a vet that they use and is knowledgable with the breed that you can bring your boy to. Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts