German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Again everyone,

Well my journey with sky has been awesome and she is such a good pup but I have my concerns as far as her social behavior, it is just me and her at home and I work full time but come home every few hours to let her out to potty and walk, but the evening is when sky and I will go play for up to 2hrs, run , fetch etc.. I also spend the entire weekend with her and its dedicated to her , I take her to the downtown dog park and she will smell the other dogs but thats it ! she just follows me around and plays with me :/ she will warm up just takes her a few, will let other people pet her etc, she just wont get out and GO like the other dogs, this is also happening in our obedience class , she will sniff around but she is not excited to see other dogs , ppl etc. will just lay down next to me.. I bring her to work on fridays to and she has warmed up to my Soldiers , she just seems to be timid.... am I doing anything wrong? or are GSD's different in their personality?

Thanks in advance!:crazy:

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
GSD's are supposed to be "aloof",,she is showing a normal gsd behavior. Be happy that YOU are the center of her universe, she doesn't need doggie friends, she doesn't need 'people',,her purpose is you, and vice versa:)

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Sounds like your typical German Shepherd. They're supposed to be aloof. If you wanted a social, love everyone dog, you've got the wrong breed.

And I'd stop with the dog park. It doesn't sound like she's enjoying it and it's just not a good place to bring dogs in general. Just search around for old threads about dog parks and you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
You're extremely lucky that she is like this already. Use it to your advantage. You need to be the most important thing in her life, not other dogs!

·
Registered
10,455 Posts
Sounds like you have done a fabulous job with her and have a fabulous dog as a result. Enjoy her, wish more people had dogs like her.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Are you sure you didn't mean to post this in the "Braggs" forum?! ;) Between all the posts about fear aggression and dog aggression and leash aggression and on and on...your girl sounds ideal!:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts