German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the little quirks every dog has - the funny habits they develop. So I thought I'd share some of Corey's and see what some of your dogs' habits, too!

Corey's:

1. she wipes her face off. Any time her face gets wet - whether from rain, a bath, or just over excited drinking - she has to wipe it off. She'll do it either on a blanket or, if that's not close by, on the couch or my leg. She really hates her face being wet, for some reason.

2. She wakes me up every morning by jumping on me and trying to snuggle. I've only had her for three months - she was two when I got her - so not sure how this developed, but she usually gives me warnings. Around a certain time of morning she'll run to my side of the bed (she sleeps on a futon across the room) and put her front paws on the mattress and lick me. I'll tell her to go lay back down, and she will. This happens about three times (most days) and then she's had enough and she'll just jump on the bed. She rolls all over me, snuggling in as close as she can. She might even let me sleep longer if I let her lay on the bed RIGHT next to me. She is just super clingy and happy in the mornings, so my daily wake up call is a dog rolling around on top of me trying to snuggle. Could be worse, I guess.

3. The paw! She is constantly using her right paw to reach out and touch me. Sometimes it's when she's laying down and I reach to pet her - she'll just put her right paw on my arm or shoulder or chest. Sometimes she'll be facing me and I pet her hed and she'll wrap that right paw around my leg for a second. Sometimes I'm just setting down and suddenly that right paw is on my knee or arm. The paw is constantly reaching out at me. And always the same one.

4. Corey is a very excited dog. I don't know if you'd call her high energy, but whens he does get excited (which doesn't take much) there's A LOT of excitement. And sometimes it's like she just can't handle how excited she is so she flops down on the ground - tail wagging hard - and waits. Seriously, she'll go from a full on happy dog freak out - running around the room, jumping on things, etc - to suddenly she just lays down. Kind of like when a person gets so excited about something they can't hardly speak? That's what it reminds me of. And it's kind of hilarious to watch.

5. So Corey has like zero animal agression. She LOVES dogs, cats, and - randomly - pigeons. We live in NYC so there are lots of those. And every time she sees one, she can't help watching it. Not in a prey-drive way, but the same way she watches dogs and cats - very "Oh, maybe that's a new friend!" That said, one of her favorite things is watching pigeons fly away. Especially multiple pigeons. She is a very serious dog when she's working (she's a guide dog) and hardly ever wags her tail while in harness. But any time we approach a group of pigeons and they fly up at once, her tail just starts going crazy, wagging hard. A few times, while off duty, she's even hopped - not charged, but HOPPED - toward them, just to make them fly. At first i thought it was a hunting thing, but the more it happens, the more I see she just likes watching them fly off.

So what are your dogs funny/strange habits or behaviors?

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
Tuke likes playing fetch, but instead of bringing the ball all the way back, she stops short and starts kicking it, like Pele' or something, she does it just about every time. Sometimes she'll stomp on it and send flying off erratically.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Will remember more. A couple off the top of my head....

Kaos favorite thing was chasing playing with sticks. He would get one and keep moving it backwards with his front paws and while making a whining noise. My puppy Havoc has started doing that minus the whine......

When Kaos heard the phone he would bark and look at me....

Kaos would sleep on my bed. He would get up and look at me. I would say dive-bomb. He would then dive into my side landing on his back to get his belly rubbed....

A GSD Genesis I used to have a decade ago would bury his bone in the carpet. Would be funny seeing him use his nose to try and move carpet to bury it.....

My 6 month old Havoc walks on top of the backrest of the sofa, Gotta start to stop that he will be to big soon and lose his balance...

Havoc loves to put a tennis ball in his mouth then move another ball with his nose all over the yard or house....

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Sent from Petguide.com Free App

In an attempt to train Cruz to shake hands, my youngest daughter somehow trained him to "high five". He does bot now, he ques off hand level, but now he gets confused at times between the hand command for down and shake. So we may stick with the high five hand/paw slap. It's cool.

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
Will remember more. A couple off the top of my head....

Kaos favorite thing was chasing playing with sticks. He would get one and keep moving it backwards with his front paws and while making a whining noise. My puppy Havoc has started doing that minus the whine......

When Kaos heard the phone he would bark and look at me....

Kaos would sleep on my bed. He would get up and look at me. I would say dive-bomb. He would then dive into my side landing on his back to get his belly rubbed....

A GSD Genesis I used to have a decade ago would bury his bone in the carpet. Would be funny seeing him use his nose to try and move carpet to bury it.....

My 6 month old Havoc walks on top of the backrest of the sofa, Gotta start to stop that he will be to big soon and lose his balance...

Havoc loves to put a tennis ball in his mouth then move another ball with his nose all over the yard or house....

Ranger does something similar. He will carry a ball, stuffed toy or whatever in his mouth and bat around a ball with his feet.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Gypsy burps really loud to the point that she sounds human. She also sometimes hears herself toot, looks at her back end and then looks at you with an expression that seems to just say "Did I do that?". Gypsy has another bad habit of licking your toes when you have bare feet.
When Jenna was alive and younger, she would run over to my dad's Lazy Boy chair, jump into it and push the back down. She would stay there and demand to be petted.
Bear could open the sliding glass doors in the house. She also would attack the lawn chairs ( she would knock them over and lay in the shade that was provided by them.
I just remembered Gypsy does what we call the "eyebrow thing," it's when she lifts one eyebrow and then the other as if she is listening and using "non-verbal communication. Jenna did it, too.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I just remembered another habit Gypsy has: door checking. She will bump her nose against my door to see if it is shut or open. If the door moves, LOOK OUT! Here comes Gypsy, banging the door wide open and running and jumping up on to the bed with you. No sleeping in for this person unless that door and the hall door that connects to bathroom which is connected to my room by another door is shut, also.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Fiona whines like a mad woman when I get near the dog park.
She is not a cuddly dog. But when I am having pain, she will turn into a lapdog. Otherwise, she is a cat.
Fiona digs in water.
Fiona's farts are silent but deadly.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
At the beach, Dexter will hold his toys in his mouth and shake them back and forth to get the sand off. He will also do this while running which makes him look pretty goofy.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Corey digs in water, too! We were at a friend's the other day and they had a kitty pool for their dog. Corey took a while to get in it, but then she started jumping in and playing. Then she started digging in it, which made no sense. Made even less sense after a few minutes of digging whens he decided to pee in it. lol.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Bella drinks her water with her paw in it till the water is all gone, and our new puppy Gatticus likes to be rocked to sleep like an actual baby :D

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Apache sleeps upside down with her eyes open wide with whites showing, shell track you across the room in her sleep too. Move suddenly and then shell jump up.
She still eats poop, nothing funny about that.
She will always pick up a dollar bill or a sock.
She hates rc helicopters
She knows mischief and thrives on it...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Bessy thinks her water bowl is a pool and tries to get her whole head in it. No matter how small the bowl. All the water ends up on the kitchen floor...everyday. Then as I try to pick up, she thinks its a great time for tug the paper towels... She is Very well behaved... Except eating dirt, poop and anything else she finds outside. I am constantly taking rocks, paper, a frog out of her mouth. Oh and my husband makes her eggs every morning. If they are too hot, she barks at them like it's the eggs fault. Love my girl :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts