German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a separate thread about our female GSD's issue with urinating in the same spot. The other behavior problem we're currently dealing with is very early morning wake-up calls. She is 14 months old and I have no idea if this behavior is typical at this age. She didn't really do it up until a few months ago. She likes to start barking and moaning (that very characteristic moody, throaty GSD moan where it almost sounds like she's talking to you!) Usually my husband or I will get up and let her out right away because she just won't stop doing it. During times when we've let her go and keep crying, she has never urinated on the floor so I don't think it's so much an urgent "I need to go to the bathroom" as it is "hey, I'm lonely and I want you to come down here and hang out with me." At various times in the wee hours of the morning (but usually around 5:30 or 6), she goes up into the stairwell (barricaded off so she and the other dogs can't come upstairs) and just moans and moans. I am a light sleeper and something of an insomniac, so by the time she wakes me up, there's no chance I'm going back to sleep.

She gets plenty of really good exercise during the day. Two long walks, one of which is through the woods where she can roam free. We train her throughout the day and are very attentive to her. I don't think it's from a lack of exercise.

Is there anything that can be done to correct this behavior? Between this and the peeing in the same spot, I'm just exhausted, angry, and sleep-deprived and don't know what else I can do. Is it just a puppy thing? Will it ever stop? I grew up with two GSDs as a child and don't ever remember these problems!

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Are your other dogs awake and up at that time also? When you do take her out at 5 or 6 am, does she immediately pee? Did this start when the UTI issues began?

I know with my boy when he was a pup, 5:30/6am was a pretty normal time for his wake up and I think biologically, generally speaking, relief of the bladder is first order for of business.

I think with her recent UTI's, I would be more inclined to get up right away and take her out.

It did take my boy a while to get use to sleeping in. Sleeping in means 7:00 ish.

Also, on your other thread, since she and the other dogs have access to the dining area, it might not just be her using that spot. Especially if you are finding huge puddles.

Just some things to think about.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts