German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Im new here. My name is Emily and I have a 5-6 yr old female GDS that we got from an animal shelter 2 yrs ago. Last week we bought a puppy. He is a male GDS 8 weeks. The two dogs have been wonderful together and play and relax together. My older dog has been growling at the pup when she is eating and I immediately separated them during feeding time. The puppy eats in his crate. My older dog eats in the evenings only, and she caries each mouth full of kibble to the living room. Tonight I was not paying close enough attention and the puppy went after the mouthful of kibble that she dropped. The older dog attacked the puppy and bit him a few times. She did not break skin but he screamed for a good bit. The problem is that my older dog has been acting funny all evening. This happened hours ago. The puupy went in his crate and napped for a long time, I had to coax him out. My older dog has growled at him several times tonight even though there is no food around. He has initiated play a few times, but she bares her teeth at him and he slinks off. I made sure to give the older dog lots of love and attention. I know she was being a normal dog by protecting her food. I know it was my fault. But why is the dog acting funny? Do they hold grudges for a while? Has this had a permanent effect on my puppy? Older dog seems grumpy with me even. She has never acted like this before. She will let me reach right in her face and take her food at any time, and is a wonderful, submissive dog. I just wonder if I should encourage them to play, or keep them apart for a few days. The puppy is also very subdued tonight and did not eat dinner, just wants to sleep in his crate. We have had him for 10 days. He is very smart, almost completely house trained already! He pees in the house at times when he is playing, but most of the time he goes and whines at the back door to go out. We are amazed at how fast he caught on. And he sits on command already too. Any advise? Experience? Will they get over this?? Thank you!

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Interesting I was just talking to a neighbor who got a new male puppy - he has 3 other dogs - 2 males and 1 female. The males are doing fine with the puppy but not the female. They have to keep her separated and away from the puppy. He also had adopted the female when she was an adult, and she had been through several homes. His comment was that she is afraid she will be given up again. It will take a lot of work on your part and you will need to keep them separate until the puppy is bigger and older. Also give your adult female food first, attention first, and extra one on one time just with you so she is reassured that she is first in your affections.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Sounds like your older dog is resource guarding, most likely she will continue to do this with anything she feels is valuable to her, including you. There are lots of things you can do to manage this but at her age I doubt you'll be able to change her behavior.
In my house I have 2 that resource guard, my youngest learned from my older dog, unfortunately she took it to a higher level than he ever did.
I have to always monitor them when it comes to food, bones, toys.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Yes, it can affect the pup. Probably not just the one time if the pup is a confident one, but if continued..yes.

Without going into the back history, I have a now 2 1/2 yr old we rescued at 19 wks. Part of his back history is aggression of this sort from an older f GSD. From what we could gather at the time he was exposed to this type of behavior from probably 5 wks up to about 10 wks when the 'person' (note the sarcasm ;) ) dumped him in a backyard. He is now my wonderful special child who will have to always be managed.

Monitor the interactions between your adult and the pup, feed separately and feed the adult first. Go as far, if needed, as a crate and rotate until the pup is past this early stage of his life. Impressions made now, good or bad, can have a lasting affect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your input. Today the two of them have played a little and the older one seems much more "warm" towards the puppy. And me too, I guess she was just ticked off yesterday. The puppy is much more cautious around her now, with his approach. I really hope this didnt scar him for life!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts