German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boy is about 5 1/2 months old and still doesn’t have his ears full up. One is up all the time but the tip is soft. The other is up sometimes and has a semi soft tip. Once I went to pick him up for his breeder at 8 weeks I found out his dad had one soft ear but I definitely couldn’t tell in pictures, only when he was running. (His sire is the son of Ballack von der Brucknerallee, two time Sieger champion so I assumed I was safe getting a puppy without seeing the parents.) Either way I love him and I’m so happy I have him! Anyway I am wondering if I should try taping or gluing? He’s lost all his baby teeth but he’s still growing a couple adult teeth. He’s being fed Earthborn food as well as a multivitamin high in glucosamine but it does not contain calcium. He’s also getting steamed veggies and yogurt with his food. Any suggestions other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
HELLO and WELCOME! :greet:

Here are a couple of things you can do to strengthen puppy’s ears.
1. Ear Exercise: Whistle or make a sound that will “perk up” the dogs ears. Do this about 30 times per day
2. Give them large raw bones: There are 150 muscles in the jaw that when exercised strengthen the ears due to the knowing, tugging and chewing the bone. Introduce at short intervals as the rich marrow material or bone fragments could cause diarrhea.

3. Feed raw skinless chicken necks as part of their meal. It has naturally occurring calcium.

4. Gently pinch the base of the ears together and massage the base without bending the upper ear.

5. Unflavored Gelatin powder: Moisten the kibble with water and sprinkle 1 packet on her food per feeding. A one ounce box contains 4 envelopes of Gelatin (each packet contains about 2 ½ tsp.). This is found by the “Jello” in the grocery store. It is made from animal collagen. The brand name is Knox Unflavored Gelatin or Great Lakes Unflavored Gelatin. You can purchase Great Lakes more economically here: https://www.amazon.com/Great-Lakes-Unflavored-Gelatin-16-Ounce/dp/B001ELLBJS

Raw chicken feet are one of best and richest sources of glucosamine/chondroitin.
2 feet 3 times a week contains more glucosamine/chondroitin than 15 supplement pills, and it's 100% bioavailable!

Trachea's are also a good natural source but, you need to be careful to get them from a reputable source or they may contain the thyroid gland.

Moms :)

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
I would also suggest walking him more at night. Dogs tend to be more alert and watchful when it's dark out, so it's very good ear exercise!

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
102 Posts
My boy is about 5 1/2 months old and still doesn’t have his ears full up. One is up all the time but the tip is soft. The other is up sometimes and has a semi soft tip. Once I went to pick him up for his breeder at 8 weeks I found out his dad had one soft ear but I definitely couldn’t tell in pictures, only when he was running. (His sire is the son of Ballack von der Brucknerallee, two time Sieger champion so I assumed I was safe getting a puppy without seeing the parents.) Either way I love him and I’m so happy I have him! Anyway I am wondering if I should try taping or gluing? He’s lost all his baby teeth but he’s still growing a couple adult teeth. He’s being fed Earthborn food as well as a multivitamin high in glucosamine but it does not contain calcium. He’s also getting steamed veggies and yogurt with his food. Any suggestions other suggestions?
OP, any update? I'm at the same point now. Completely done teething but ears are still down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts