German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always walk my dog in my yard on the leash and he’s pretty well behaved however today his collar popped off (it’s a cheap petsmart one) and my neighbor was outside and he went running after her. She got inside before he could get to her but I really felt uncomfortable about that.

Now my neighbor is probably scared to death. First thing I’m doing is buying a new collar. However what ways should I teach him not to do this???

·
Registered
956 Posts
Work on recall. Sometimes a game called "puppy pingpong" is a good place to start. It's where you and another person stand about 25meters apart and call for the dog to come. Works best with a couple retractable leashes.

Go near a high distraction park, like a dog park. Dont go in but be right outside of it and work on "come".

·
Registered
31,120 Posts
Recall and a solid down.

and I'm sorry but I'm laughing at your neighbor. You do need to apologize to her. even if her reaction to a puppy running towards her was over the top. Fears aren't rational so go smooth things over.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
I agree. Go talk to your neighbor right away. Apologize and explain what happened. Maybe offer to let her meet your puppy. My puppy will go running towards people to, but if he got to them he would be happy and friendly.

But as Jax said, fears aren't rational. And you don't know her basis for the running.

But keeping on the good size with neighbors is important.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
@;
Who runs from a puppy ?
People have phobias, it isn't up to you or me to decide whether or not they're valid in our eyes! Apologize, and don't let it happen again...that's the first step. Next is work on obedience! The dog is fine, just strengthen your dog's obedience. And apologize SINCERELY to your neighbor!

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
I agree. Go talk to your neighbor right away. Apologize and explain what happened. Maybe offer to let her meet your puppy. My puppy will go running towards people to, but if he got to them he would be happy and friendly.

But as Jax said, fears aren't rational. And you don't know her basis for the running.

But keeping on the good side with neighbors is important.
I 100 % agree with that. Having neighbors love me and my dog is so important in times like when my happy puppy just runs over to say hello, like a normal happy puppy will do!

Meanwhile, start up those puppy/dog classes to socialize your pup and begin the training. Makes it so much more fun and easier. Plus, nice to know how the training is progressing and exactly what your puppy will do in any/all new situations.

·
Registered
31,120 Posts
@;

People have phobias, it isn't up to you or me to decide whether or not they're valid in our eyes! Apologize, and don't let it happen again...that's the first step. Next is work on obedience! The dog is fine, just strengthen your dog's obedience. And apologize SINCERELY to your neighbor!
Why are you talking that way to huntergreen? He doesn't have anything to work on or apologize for.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Why are you talking that way to huntergreen? He doesn't have anything to work on or apologize for.
Jax08, oh how I've missed you!!!

tim_s_adams great post and I 100% agree with your take on the situation!

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Who runs from a puppy ?
The same 2 huge guys from Sleepy's that just delivered my new mattress and suddenly realized they were next to a rat cage. lol They were fine with the 2 GSDs and pit that are here. Rats? Screamed and did dances.

I all fairness depends on the dog. My dog was very forward defensive at that age and had to get trained out of it. Wasn't ideal, but it was happening and needed immediate intervention/training. He was near 70lbs and tall and did not look extremely puppy like at that age. So I would say it matters whether it bound up to the neighbor or went tearing after her. I find I meet a lot of people that are terrified of GSDs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My dads 4.5 month old puppy is already 19" tall and weighs 40 lbs and solid black. I could probably understand someone running from it with it running right at them. Even though she is friendly, you never know.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts