German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since so many people here had pups experiencing their first 4th and there were a lot of fireworks threads going on, how did your pups do?

Anna did what I thought, she ignored them and was oblivious. She ran when Dunc barked, but when we put him up, she just hung out outside with us then went to sleep.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My dogs were so tired after a SAR Demonstration and greeting lots of people at the community Fourth of July celebration that all of them crashed and slept through the loud fireworks.

·
Registered
215 Posts
My daughter and I were walking along the lake where we live and as the evening progressed people were shooting off illegal fireworks, some quite close to us. Jazz and no problem at all.

·
Registered
663 Posts
We had some neihbors right across the street doing fireworks, these were extremely loud. Kaiyah wanted to hunt them down, she saw the fireworks in the air and tried to go after them barking, not a single hair stood up, I was impressed. She was the one I was most worried about. Cati did well, she jumped the first one she heard but after that she was like whatever..Quest was ok, didnt cry or anything but he did cling to me a little extra, but nothing extreme where he had to tuck his tail and hide. Just unsure what was going on..the fireworks were right there, very loud and made me jump out of my skin a few times when i was outside. The fireworks accross the street were better than the city ones. The city ones lasted about 10 minutes and stopped because of some malfunction. BOO.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Alexa's ears perked up to full alert mode, she looked around, and then she went on her merry way
Honestly, I think all the thunderstorms we've had since we got her have helped her get used to those kinds of noises.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
don't wait for the 4th of July to have your dog around fire works.
like anything else, introduce them to it. if your going to introduce your dog to fire works or gun shots do it from afar. then slowly get closer to the dog.

·
Registered
243 Posts
All of my crew were sacked out. Even when I took them out, Scarlett saw several go off, looked at me then went on with what she was doing like "okay well, dad's not excited neither am i" lol.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Well it wasn't Bianca's first 4th of July but it was her first one since I got her so I wasn't sure how she would react. Her previous owner said she had been exposed to gunfire (as part of Schutzhund) and "wasn't too keen on it" so I was concerned.
However she mostly ignored the fireworks when she was in the house or barked if they were too close/loud. She did seem a little nervous last night after I let her outside. She scratched at the door to come back inside which she NEVER does. Then when I let her in she was still nervous about the noises until I gave her a beef tendon chew and then she forgot all about everything else!

My kittens just turned one year old so last year on the 4th they were only a few weeks old. They didn't seem overly frightened yesterday of the noises but when I had the window open and a loud/close firecracker went off they would stop suddenly and look over at the window. My other cats ignored the sounds.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Aodhán doesn't mind the noise if it's at a distance. But she wasn't too fond of the little poppers my grandson was setting off. She looked and then calmly went back in the house.

Caleb looked when Tyler set off the poppers then went over to see if they were good to eat.

Rica has gone deaf so nothing bothers her.

·
Banned
290 Posts
Brigitte did GREAT! She was not affraid at all, and people were firing off different kinds of fireworks throughout the day. When we did our show, before we started, we put her inside because she was just SOOOO tired after such an active day. She fell asleep immediately and then when I checked on her about 45 min later, she just looked at me like "why you gotta wake me up???" I could hear the fireworks in the house, so I know she was just sleeping right through them. Overall, she did awesome, and I don't see any problems in the future with any fireworks. She doesn't even care.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Miko was hilarious. We watched the fireworks show in Foster City and I was pretty sure he'd be good. I'd played youtube videos of fireworks for a week before today, but of course it isn't the same. We were in the park for 12 hours at least, so by the time the show came on, he was knocked out. He didn't bat an ear. I even tried to wake him up so he could take pictures but nope, I even had to carry him when we left. All 45 pounds of him.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
When Otto first heard them a few weeks ago, he went off barking like he does at things he doesn't know or understand. By the time Friday night neighborhood show went off, he didn't care anymore. Last night, he was hanging out on his window seat watching with the kids.

Morgan, she's bored with it. I don't know if it's the noise bothering her since she's getting older but when stuff started exploding about 6pm, she wanted to hover close to me. Then when it really started getting loud, she wasn't interested in going out on the porch with the kids to watch. She just found a spot in a room with closed windows and sprawled out in the middle of the floor.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Nadi does not care at all. It is as if nothing phases her!

Zisso has become my velcro dog. He panics and he pants like crazy. I have found to calm him down the best thing to do is go to bed and let him sleep up on the bed too. He culrs up in a tight little ball up in the corner of the bed(Good thing I am single or the hubby would be on the couch!!) He just plain does not like them. He won't eat. Even one goes off in the distance, he goes to his crate or in the shower to hide, depending on where I am at.

·
Super Moderator
6,287 Posts
gia is pretty seasoned, now that this is her 9th 4th of july... but she spent her very first with me at 11mo old and i don't recall her ever having any issues. even in the company of my other severely disturbed shepherd (sierra had to be sedated during any sort of storm or car back fire etc - she'd shake and pant and whine and drool.. her eyes were dilated and glassy... not to mention she couldn't be contained and occasionally became aggressive with the other dogs). certain types of fireworks get a reaction (generally a single bark and hackling) but thats it.

tilden on the other hand sounds like zisso, perhaps not as severe with the panting, but definitely glued to my leg and ignoring any and every rule just to stay near me. his appetite has decreased the last couple of days and he's also not sleeping thru the night. he's got a MAJOR excuse tho... somewhere in the 9.5months before he came to live with me, he'd been shot (we found the bullet while his hips were getting x rayed) and there is no doubt in my mind that the fireworks remind him of that and he's just waiting for something to hit him. his ears have been permanently back this whole weekend... but overall, he seemed surprisingly calm.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Originally Posted By: Sigurd's MomSigurd didn't even care or notice! Fireworks were going off pretty close to us!! It was like any other time of the day - I'm so proud of my confident little guy!
WOW! this is amazing! Cylo was exactly the same way and after the loud bang, curiously walked up to sniff the canister.

I was joking with my wife wondering if Cylo had a deaf ear or whatnot? lol..

btw, Cylo's Ear stood up on 4th of July~ yay~

Dan

·
Registered
146 Posts
Rommel dragged us out to get closer to them since that was where the people were. One of the reasons we chose him was loud noises had no effect on him and with all the gunfire around my area it was a priority.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts