German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you do with your dogs? A lot of dogs end up dead because they are very afraid of fireworks and jump the fence out of fear. Last year I found a dead GSD puppy in the middle if the road and a couple other dogs. Do you all keep your dog in? Tell me about your experiences? I'm keeping my puppy in. No way is she going outside tomorrow.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
457 Posts
I always stayed home with my last gsd, who was afraid. My current girl is not, but I will stay home with her anyways. I am not a fan of loud noise myself and never have been, even as a child. I hated balloons and was always waiting for them to pop.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My previous dog (130lb Great Dane/Ridgeback) was terrified of fireworks & thunder. I stayed home with him every year. The first year we got him right before 4th (he was about 8weeks- we took him in from the street so going by the vets guess) & we found out the hard way how scared he was. The next year he broke through our shower door trying to hide in the bathtub.

I have a friend with a golden retriever who every 4th needs to put the dog on Zanex.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh dear! There are a handful of dogs that stress out in the 4th. Poor babies have no idea what's going on! This is Emerys first! So I don't want her to panic if she is outside.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Both mine are really scared so I rearrange one of the closets and leave one sliding door open. This gives them a safe, secure, "den" to retreat to.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Kaos wasn't afraid so I could go out with him. He would bark though when he heard my neighbors setting off fireworks.....

My 6 month old Havoc is afraid of thunder. So I will stay in with him......

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Bella is a bit of a nervous nelly so I will be staying home with her and my puppy so I can comfort them, she nearly jumps out of her skin. I feel awful for her.

I will accompany them out while on potty breaks to ensure their safety..

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I've never had a dog that was afraid of the noises. They do generally stay inside though. Usually crated if we go anywhere.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I have one dog who is terrified of fireworks. We stay home, put his thunder shirt on and try to keep him calm. I have no idea how my GSD will react. We will be home either way keeping a close eye on all of them. They only have access to outside when we're home anyway, but the 4th makes me nervous.

·
Registered
7,149 Posts
Mine go with us to watch them. We do it redneck style or guess it could be tailgate party style. We drive my crew cab pick up to our usual spot, go for a walk by the river and then we kick back in the pick up bed with kids and dogs and watch the fireworks. It's not spectacular, but the kids and dogs enjoy it. This year will be Rangers first, Tuke and Zoey are rock solid with fireworks and thunder, hope he follows their lead.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Jazzy's nervous but that's not out of the ordinary for her, she's less nervous when she's with me so she comes and sits on my lap.

Delgado I took last year and wasn't sure how it would go, I was ready to leave right away if he was uncomfortable. The first one went off and he just watched the sky and didn't bat a eye, he actually fell asleep halfway through the show. This year the weather was really unpredictable so I left him home and just took Jazzy

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Mine go with us to watch them. We do it redneck style or guess it could be tailgate party style. We drive my crew cab pick up to our usual spot, go for a walk by the river and then we kick back in the pick up bed with kids and dogs and watch the fireworks. It's not spectacular, but the kids and dogs enjoy it. This year will be Rangers first, Tuke and Zoey are rock solid with fireworks and thunder, hope he follows their lead.
Sounds like a good way to Spend it to me :)

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I am taking Berlin to the 4th of July event in a town nearby....theres gonna be alot going on, and he's doing his first dock diving competition there!! Theres going to be bands, people, dogs, boats, (its on Lake Michigan), things for kids, food etc...so alot going on.. but he handles things well. Definitely NOT keeping my dog in! We never stay in. Not sure if I am going to take him to watch fireworks or not though. This is his first 4th, so not sure how he would act, but people were letting off fireworks all last night, and he didnt seem to notice.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Raina has rock solid nerves and thunder or fireworks don't bother her at all. She will be staying inside though when we go to the fireworks as pets aren't allowed there. I leave her in her crate with the TV on the music channel and of course the AC on and she is fine. Pyrate was a whole other story. He was terrified of loud noises, fireworks, thunder, car backfires, etc. I had to give him Xanax, put him in his crate and cover it, along with having the TV on to keep him calm. It was the only way to keep him safe. If a sudden thunderstorm came up he would hide in the bathtub or if he couldn't get in there he would just pace and pant until I let him in the bathroom or put him in a covered crate. Of the four GSD's I've had he was the only one to be afraid of the booms. Everyone be safe with your dogs tonight.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
Masi and Jag (aussie) could care less about thunder, fireworks or any loud noises.

Jynx(aussie) has always been thunder/firework phobic:( This past year she has gone deaf so while I am not thrilled that she is deaf, she no longer is bothered by the storms or fireworks.

Of course are never outside unattended anyway:)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts