German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, so my 4 year old GSD Bruzer is great, he’s a big boy, 95 pounds, very friendly with everyone that comes over our house, and strangers on walks that are walking by and pet him.!But when he sees a dog while I’m on walk with him, that’s close to him either down the street, or across the street from us. He gets really wound up and starts to want to go over there, sometimes even barking. We saw my Moms friends dog near our house, and my mom called me other with the dog, and Bruzer was just all up in the little dogs face going crazy. Not biting him or anything, he’d never do that. The weird thing is, he lived with another dog until we got him, we got him from our Aunt and Uncle, who have 3 kids and couldn’t handle having 2 dogs. So we got Bruzer. And he lived with a Lab for 3 years. So we aren’t sure why he’s acting like this, and it’s only when he sees another dog really close to him, he’s awesome with people. And he doesn’t bite the other dogs either. Just kinda scares them with how energetic and frantic he is. We called a couple of dog trainers, and are waiting to hear back.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,700 Posts
He's very handsome!Sounds like he just gets super excited and wants to visit but he's just too overbearing in his ecstasy:)Hopefully a trainer with GSD experience will be able to show you how to keep his focus on you and stop his excitement before it starts.Once a dog gets all worked up barking and lunging you've missed the window of opportunity to gain his focus and give him something else to do.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
What kind of training has he had? Perhaps you could redirect him with Enough! (barking) and Sit. Praise him for that. Gradually bring him closer and closer to other dogs while making him be quiet and sit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hmm...

Wow, what a beautiful dog. My dog almost looks like yours, except a shorter snout due to a car accident before we got her and round-circle eyebrows. Anyway, sorry a little off topic. If he pulls on the leash, consider getting a harness so it wont hurt his neck. But to stop the aggression/over-excitement, period, ask a friend who has a dog to come meet you with their dog on a leash and your dog on a leash, but don't be next to each other (you and the other friend with the dog). Instead, go to a distance then slowly approach the other dog, and if your dog seems to get hyper or over-excited, have the friend with the dog walk away or you walk away with your dog. Then go to a distance far enough that your dog doesn't seem to care that the dog is there to make sure he is calm. Then, keep repeating each day until he gets used to "if i'm too excited and scaring other dogs because of my aggression and over-excitement, i'm going to have to be calmer!". To increase your chances of him being calm around other dogs, I'll give you some tips.
Tips:
1. Don't encourage the excitement, otherwise he will continue this behavior.
2. When he is calm, give him a treat. 'Good boy, good boy!'
3. Wear your dog out before you go and see other dogs.
4. Provide some activities that require him to sniff, think, etc. Like hide a treat, shell game, etc.
5. Lavender (make sure he isn't allergic). Let him sniff lavender, you can put 100% pure essential oil lavender on your dog, but if you don't want to go that far, i'm sure just sniffing the lavender would help calm your dog down.

Hope this helps! :smile2: I do a lot of research on dog behavior and how things work for them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What kind of training has he had? Perhaps you could redirect him with Enough! (barking) and Sit. Praise him for that. Gradually bring him closer and closer to other dogs while making him be quiet and sit.
He knows all the basic stuff like sit, lay down, paw, drop it (for his toys), and quiet we taught him for when he barks around the house. He listens very well. Just gets way too excited when he sees other dogs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He's very handsome!Sounds like he just gets super excited and wants to visit but he's just too overbearing in his ecstasy/forum/images/smilies/smile.gifHopefully a trainer with GSD experience will be able to show you how to keep his focus on you and stop his excitement before it starts.Once a dog gets all worked up barking and lunging you've missed the window of opportunity to gain his focus and give him something else to do.
Yeah that’s what it seems like. We just thought it was strange because he was around his friend Charlie at my Aunts house for 3 years. We’ve had him since February. I’m sure we’ll figure out with this trainer person. But other than that he’s really awesome. It’s our 3rd shepherd too haha.

·
Super Moderator
6,700 Posts
Many dogs feel frustrated when they are leashed.If they meet a new dog in an open area off leash they become very well mannered.Other dogs become very possessive of their owners when leashed and act aggressively,but are friendly and sociable in an open area when the owner keeps his distance.It's interesting to try to figure out our dog's perspectives.

·
Registered
10,472 Posts
Another situation that is possibly problematic is when another dog comes from opposite direction on a narrow forest trail. In case of loops, we should all go one way to avoid these confrontations.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
My friend had a dog-aggressive rescue (not a GSD, a schnauzer).
She struggled a lot, like walking him past 10pm at night when she was practically falling asleep!
Eventually, she found a good trainer who takes dogs on "pack walks".
Every Friday, her dog gets taken on a long pack walk with about 7-8 other dogs.
She said that he gets along fine with his "pack walk" friends and overall his reactivity/aggression is much much better.
I have seen the photo of all the dogs Sitting in a row, very cute.
She was even willing to let her dog meet mine & suggested that we go for a walk together (truly shocking...he must really be better).

Just an idea!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts