German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, any ideas what may be causing my GSD to yelp when he jumps down off the bed? He is 4 1/2 and just started doing this last weekend. It's not a loud, horrible yelp (yet). I have checked his paws, shoulders, back and cant find any sensitivity spots. Just had him at the vet for vaccines earlier this week and vet said same thing. I cant tell for sure but seems to be when he plants his front left paw/leg. He plays and runs without any issues. It's just jumping from the bed that this happens. Any suggestions before I start with expensive xrays? I thought maybe joint related, any concerns and or suggestions on supplements to give him? Thanks!

·
Registered
442 Posts
First off I would get him a ramp to get up and down from your bed, if you plan on allowing him up there. Even a little stool
propped up next to bed can help.
Young dogs play and run so rough sometimes, they twist and yank their legs every which way. I'd watch him and see if it gets any worse. Also don't let him jump out of cars or trucks either, that can hurt their joints.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
You've got to rest the dog. If he is yelping he is hurt. They can totally forget they are hurt when they are out having fun or when they are excited. You won't see the injury then but it is there and being constantly reinjured.

No jumping on/off furniture, no running, gentle strolls on leash.

Sometimes they heal quickly, sometimes it can take as long as 6 weeks. I've had to deal with both. It is a pain to have your dog attached to you on a leash or crated 24/7 but it's necessary for a good heal.

·
Super Moderator
6,971 Posts
If he’s yelping, he’s hurt! To me this screams neck/shoulder/disc... I’d personally forgo allowing him on the bed altogether (incl stairs, truck, running, etc) for several weeks then reassess. A natural anti inflammatory wouldn’t hurt either... I like this one (pictured), as turmeric alone doesn’t absorb.

Xrays would be the first step in diagnostics if rest doesn’t resolve it, but they’re limited.... next would be a neurology consultation and they’re almost always going to recommend a MRI.

50890D9F-87C5-459E-91FF-7BDC1313CB0C.jpeg

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
One of mine is recovering right now. He started with a limp. It wasn't severe, but I noticed it. Vet would not see him bc of pandemic, it was not an emergency. They did put up some previcox for him though, so I did 2 weeks rest + couple days prev.

2 weeks later he looked great. I let him have his normal life back for like 2 days and he was lame again. This time they saw him, got x rays and an exam. They could not see the limp the day he was at vet (he was excited to see his friends at the vet so no limp). X rays looked good. Vet said rest him again, soft tissue can take 6 weeks. And I've heard that before when my other shepherd pulled a groin muscle.

Now he's past that second rest and looks totally sound to me. But I am easing him back into normal life this time. Building up longer and longer leashwalks and my boys are still not allowed to play (they hate me right now) no jumping off furniture etc.

This time I will let him back to normal life (offleash, playing w brother etc) once he is sound doing some decent controlled exercise. I plan to start swimming before running. Need this dog sound. Last time I obviously let him do too much too soon. This time I may be going too far in the other direction but I really want him to heal right.

Basically the same thing I did when my other one pulled the groin years ago.

It is just tedious and annoying but it's what has to be done. For my dog since x rays were fine and rest works I don't think we need to pursue it further.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Shadow is just done 6 weeks of rest. We are easing back into exercise, just on leash. I let her be loose in the house as long as she stayed quiet. If she got rowdy she went in her crate. No jumpy, running, bouncy crap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If he’s yelping, he’s hurt! To me this screams neck/shoulder/disc... I’d personally forgo allowing him on the bed altogether (incl stairs, truck, running, etc) for several weeks then reassess. A natural anti inflammatory wouldn’t hurt either... I like this one (pictured), as turmeric alone doesn’t absorb.

Xrays would be the first step in diagnostics if rest doesn’t resolve it, but they’re limited.... next would be a neurology consultation and they’re almost always going to recommend a MRI.

View attachment 559636
Agreed, he is hurting with something. Thanks for suggestion. He is pissed that he cant be on the bed but best for him atm. Appreciate all the recommendations.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You've got to rest the dog. If he is yelping he is hurt. They can totally forget they are hurt when they are out having fun or when they are excited. You won't see the injury then but it is there and being constantly reinjured.

No jumping on/off furniture, no running, gentle strolls on leash.

Sometimes they heal quickly, sometimes it can take as long as 6 weeks. I've had to deal with both. It is a pain to have your dog attached to you on a leash or crated 24/7 but it's necessary for a good heal.
Thank you, he wont be happy but it's what he needs. Appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Agreed, he is hurting with something. Thanks for suggestion. He is pissed that he cant be on the bed but best for him atm. Appreciate all the recommendations.
Did you see him get hurt? My shep cries getting up after he's been lying down for a long time, but he's 12 and has hip problems. 3 years ago we started Adequan injections which may help your dog. Its expensive, apprx. $400 for the treatment but how do you put a price on your dogs health?
Limit his activity for a bit, let him heal. I hope your dog is feeling much better soon!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you see him get hurt? My shep cries getting up after he's been lying down for a long time, but he's 12 and has hip problems. 3 years ago we started Adequan injections which may help your dog. Its expensive, apprx. $400 for the treatment but how do you put a price on your dogs health?
Limit his activity for a bit, let him heal. I hope your dog is feeling much better soon!
Thank you for advice. No, didnt see him do anything to hurt himself. Still making him relax on the floor. Hopefully just a wierd ache that will go away.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Thank you for advice. No, didnt see him do anything to hurt himself. Still making him relax on the floor. Hopefully just a wierd ache that will go away.
For what it's worth I have no idea how mine got hurt either. Apparently none of us knew it at the time that it occured.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts