German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
They won't stay up until the teething is over. Some dogs will take even longer and it might be a few months after they are finished teething. There is no normal timeline.

Until they come up for good, they will be all over the place and do all kinds of crazy things. None of those things means they won't stand when they are ready.

I'm a firm believer that you can't force ears to stand. They will come up when they come up.

You really need to stop focusing on his ears and devote yourself to his training and your relationship. You both will be better off if you do that.

Your pup will look just as he is supposed to. But you have to give him enough time for his particular body to get to that point.

Constantly posting about it isn't going to speed up the process😊.

Do you mean you won't love your dog if his ears don't stand? If that is the case he really might not be the right breed for you.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
They won't stay up until the teething is over. Some dogs will take even longer and it might be a few months after they are finished teething. There is no normal timeline.

Until they come up for good, they will be all over the place and do all kinds of crazy things. None of those things means they won't stand when they are ready.

I'm a firm believer that you can't force ears to stand. They will come up when they come up.

You really need to stop focusing on his ears and devote yourself to his training and your relationship. You both will be better off if you do that.

Your pup will look just as he is supposed to. But you have to give him enough time for his particular body to get to that point.

Constantly posting about it isn't going to speed up the process😊.

Do you mean you won't love your dog if his ears don't stand?
No I would love him even if his ears don’t stand but I would be upset but I would still love him of course! Yes his ears are doing crazy things lol and I get so worried because they look firm and up for good and then next it’s down and then I doubt it.. I’m really sorry if I’m annoying everyone about this..

·
Registered
Jazmine Auf Der Marquis
1,015 Posts
If it helps think about this way, at his age his ears look just they supposed too for the breed, enjoy the show take plenty of pictures. Once they go up and stay up you will miss the crazy ear looks.

·
Registered
Bellabelle….Chuckee…Babee…Missee
2 Posts
Your handsome (best dog EVER) will come to be all that you can ever dream he’d be…i promise you that…give him a bit of time, his ears may even go one up one down, but eventually they will both stand up and be at total attention to you, his person! Loyal royal through and through. Careful about wishing the pup outta him (2+years at least), cause once they are all grown up, they are in serious business! Best Wishes to you both its a wonderful life …angels in doggie suits, im convinced!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Your handsome (best dog EVER) will come to be all that you can ever dream he’d be…i promise you that…give him a bit of time, his ears may even go one up one down, but eventually they will both stand up and be at total attention to you, his person! Loyal royal through and through. Careful about wishing the pup outta him (2+years at least), cause once they are all grown up, they are in serious business! Best Wishes to you both its a wonderful life …angels in doggie suits, im convinced!
Yes you are right i am going to enjoy the puppy stage instead of worrying :) today he has one ear basically up just the tip is folded and the other ear coming up. im excited for my new best friend its only beginning <3

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
If it helps think about this way, at his age his ears look just they supposed too for the breed, enjoy the show take plenty of pictures. Once they go up and stay up you will miss the crazy ear looks.
I hope they stay up but I kinda doubt it since before teething they went up but never stayed up only went up and down sorta before the start of real teething, I’ll still love him though even ears don’t stay up

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
I hope they stay up but I kinda doubt it since before teething they went up but never stayed up only went up and down sorta before the start of real teething, I’ll still love him though even ears don’t stay up
And if they don’t stay up we can try gluing at 5 months or so after teething so right now is just a wait and see

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
At 5 months, your dog may not be through teething. If after 7 or 8 months old, THEN maybe think about it. But not at 5 months.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
At 5 months, your dog may not be through teething. If after 7 or 8 months old, THEN maybe think about it. But not at 5 months.
Tbh I don’t know anymore.. his mom has one ear that’s folded but it might have been damaged when she was a pup or it’s soft ear.. I don’t know the breeder never told us. His dad has both ears completely up that’s why I’m questioning now

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
And if they don’t stay up we can try gluing at 5 months or so after teething so right now is just a wait and see
You are kind of exhausting ;)
Your pup is doing EXACTLY what 98% of GSD puppies do. 1% go up super early and stay up and 1% never go up. It can take up to a year but once they stand (and almost always flop again for awhile) the eventually stand for good.

Stop worrying about it, stop posting about it, stop looking at his ears. You'll soon be back to shout success and say how silly you feel fretting about it. You have weeks to months to go before they stay up, totally normal.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Your pup is doing EXACTLY what 98% of GSD puppies do. 1% go up super early and stay up and 1% never go up. It can take up to a year but once they stand (and almost always flop again for awhile) the eventually stand for good.

Stop worrying about it, stop posting about it, stop looking at his ears. You'll soon be back to shout success and say how silly you feel fretting about it. You have weeks to months to go before they stay up, totally normal.
I hope lol but it might just be genetics

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·

I’m sorry 😅🥲

·
Registered
Eska von den Roten Vorbergen
3,819 Posts
This is Star of Hope at 9 months. If you look closely, you will see a crease in her ears. Yes, that means her ears had ONLY RECENTLY become fully erect.

I never taped them glued them or did anything else with them. Her ears were up at 12 weeks when I brought her home from her breeder, and I just hung on to what people were telling me: If they've been up before, they WILL come up again!

And they did!

This is my favourite picture of her. She lived to be 14 1/2.

Dog German shepherd dog Carnivore Dog breed Grass

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
This is Star of Hope at 9 months. If you look closely, you will see a crease in her ears. Yes, that means her ears had ONLY RECENTLY become fully erect.

I never taped them glued them or did anything else with them. Her ears were up at 12 weeks when I brought her home from her breeder, and I just hung on to what people were telling me: If they've been up before, they WILL come up again!

And they did!

This is my favourite picture of her. She lived to be 14 1/2.

View attachment 580464
Aw beautiful!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
If it's genetic, taping won't help. Please just leave them alone and give them A LOT more time. That's not minutes. It's months, many more than one.
True but I’m going to try and do everything in my power if it comes to that case

81 - 100 of 197 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.