German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you think they will go up? The one ear was up for 3 days both went up and down for about a month or so. They usually are in that side flying nun position now since he’s teething they are flopped forward but still out to the sides.

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
Once up they always stand, is the general rule I've always lived by and experienced. Many dog's ears don't go up at all fully until they're done teething at around 6 months. Relax, you're dog will have prick ears! She's gorgeous BTW!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Once up they always stand, is the general rule I've always lived by and experienced. Many dog's ears don't go up at all fully until they're done teething at around 6 months. Relax, you're dog will have prick ears! She's gorgeous BTW!
Thank you he’s a male I’m just wondering because one has been up for a few days and both up and down I’m just confused do they have to be up and STAY up in order for them to be up permanently or is it okay if they go up for a few days or so then flop down?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I agree with everyone else here. You really have absolutely nothing to worry about, it's very clear that his ears will definitely go up eventually.

My little guys ears were up since he was like 3 weeks, and he's done the ear dance a few times but only for a day or so, he's also 4 months like yours!

If they go up and then down again they'll be back up for sure.

Goodluck with your beautiful boy!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree with everyone else here. You really have absolutely nothing to worry about, it's very clear that his ears will definitely go up eventually.

My little guys ears were up since he was like 3 weeks, and he's done the ear dance a few times but only for a day or so, he's also 4 months like yours!

If they go up and then down again they'll be back up for sure.

Goodluck with your beautiful boy!
Thank you so much! That really helps a lot now I all I have to do is just wait haha ❤ Can’t wait I’m one of those people who want things now lol

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thank you so much! That really helps a lot now I all I have to do is just wait haha ❤ Can’t wait I’m one of those people who want things now lol
Completely understandable, when my boys ears went floppy I was so worried aswell, because because thought he might have hurt them or they weren't gonna come back. So like I get you 🥰

Your guys paws are huge, may I ask how much he weighs about at the moment ?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Completely understandable, when my boys ears went floppy I was so worried aswell, because because thought he might have hurt them or they weren't gonna come back. So like I get you 🥰

Your guys paws are huge, may I ask how much he weighs about at the moment ?
He weighs 36 pounds at the moment don’t know now though. The reason why I was worried was because his ears never both stayed up only one of the other for about a day or so but both went up and down and both can go up for a few seconds I’ve seen it, but it’s usually the one ear that has been up for a 3 days or so, I guess I’m just wondering how long is normal? Like long periods of time or short periods of time?

·
Registered
58 Posts
He weighs 36 pounds at the moment don’t know now though. The reason why I was worried was because his ears never both stayed up only one of the other for about a day or so but both went up and down and both can go up for a few seconds I’ve seen it, but it’s usually the one ear that has been up for a 3 days or so, I guess I’m just wondering how long is normal? Like long periods of time or short periods of time?
Sounds completely normal to me. From the pics his ears are really big and he'll eventually grow into them, that's probably why they're taking a bit longer to both stay up. There's no 'normal', it's different for every puppy, but once again, the golden rule is that if they've been up, they're coming back 👏

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
Okay thank you I’ll really try not to worry 😅 I’m just going to trust everyone
So, trust this as well. What you Should be focused on NOW is training! Now is the time to lay a good foundation that will help throughout the dog's life! Forget the ears, teach a solid recall, a down stay, a drop it, and a leave it. These commands will do wonders in helping you manage a huge range of issues you might encounter in life! Dissuade any unwanted behaviors that you wouldn't want in an adult, primarily by teaching what it is you want! And above all, keep training light relaxed, and fun for you and the puppy!

The ears will take care of themselves, these things require some focus (I don't refer to it as work because it's fun), it takes lots of repetition and practice in a variety of locations/situations.

Don't get all anxious about it LOL! Just spend time focusing on these basic things, later on you'll be so glad you did!

And if you are unsure or don't know how, hire a good balanced trainer to help! So much easier now than trying to fix issues later!

Good luck! It's a fun ride!

Reactions: Kiki18
1 - 20 of 197 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.