German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been asked many times, but I wanted to share my details in hopes that someone might be able to help. We have a 4.5 month old male puppy. We have had him about 2 months and he still chases our cats. Sometimes he ignores them, sometimes he just watches, and other times he chases and nips at or even tries to grab them on the back or tail. He totally does not seem aggressive about it (as far as I can tell) but it still scares the **** out of me when he goes to grab them. We continuously correct him, but can some of this be attributed to his young age? It seems he's not getting that he can't chase them at all. And to be honest, don't mind if he chases, its the nipping, grabbing that scares me. I know it's instinctual, etc. but so many say they have both cats and GSDs and all is fine....

We keep him crated when not home and tethered to us when he's out (nearly all of the time). Are we making it even more tempting since the cats are this forbidden thing he can't be near... If we let them "work it out" a few times would the curiosity just fade?

I have read so much on this topic but wanted to know if maybe after 2 months of living with us, I should just give up the thought of all animals living peacefully together or if it's mainly due to his young age and there is still hope :($

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
30,388 Posts
It's all his age. LOL Work on Leave It and work on "Be Nice" Don't make them off limits. Let him near them in controlled situations and let him sniff them. Jax learned what Be Nice means. She still tortures him but is not rough with him.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Don't worry, there's always hope :)

I've been living with cats and dogs (and more, lol) my whole life, and it just takes time. Do you have a space the cats can call their own? My cat has one of our spare rooms just for herself, and it's blocked off by a big cat tree. My puppy still chases the cat, but I've seen the cat be the instigator so many times it's not funny!

I know that tethering is popular, but I personally don't really like the idea. I'd rather that my puppy make the right decision - ie, not chase the cat instead of *can't* chase the cat.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Lakota is infatuated with cats. We have a "Zero" tolerance for chasing, it's funny when the kitty runs around the house, Lakota will see us and change to a walk. It takes time, sometimes longer than you would like. I am trying to get a video of her playing with my 1yr old kitten. OMG it's hilarious, the kitty, Mr MaGoo aka Goo, actually attacks her neck, or sneak attacks by jumping at her back. So many times I am about to yell at the dog, but it's the cat causing the commotion.
A lot depends on your cats as well, how old are they? Some cats a much more tolerant of dogs than others. All of my cats have had their heads chewed by my dogs. of course that's nothing we encourage it just what happens when my cats accept my dogs playing with them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, our 3 year old boy cat can be a trouble maker – I think he really wants to play with the dog, he’s extremely outgoing and friendly. Sometimes he’ll run up to him and sniff him but the dog bounds after him and it too much. Other times, he instigates. It’s as if he knows the dog is tethered and he will walk by very slowly or clean himself just out of reach. Or run up to the dog and run away. However, other times, the cat will just be in the room and the puppy will chase. And again, it’s not the chasing, its more the grabbing the cat in his mouth that freaks me out. Not to where he’s picking him up or anything, he’s just mouthing on him but I know if I didn’t stop it, he’d go further because he gets excited. It’s not all the time – I don’t think its “high drive” or anything – I’ve tried to read a lot about that and what to look for – just puppy acting like a puppy – but I just thought he’d get it by now and I want to make sure I’m not doing something wrong.

Our 2 year old girl cat is very shy and while she will snuggle and be affectionate with anyone ONCE she’s comfortable, she stays up high right now, does not want anything to do with the dog as far as playing goes but is very interested in him. She used to sleep in the bedroom after dinner but she is now ALWAYS out when he’s around –just stays perched on top of our cabinets or fridge and watches him from afar. I see potential since they are so curious and not hiding/miserable. I think if the dog were calmer with them, both cats would treat him how they treat each other (very sweet, lie together, clean each other, etc.) but for now he’s just too much energy for them and they’re just too small.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I was wondering the same myself.. I have a really high energy puppy and anytime she sees the cat she goes NUTS and I don't think she wants to play with the cat.. If she's on her plastic pinch, she doesn't care. She'll take the correction (same pup that had to be e-collared at 14 or 16 weeks..) she's very visually stimulated. I can't snap her out of the cat. She just whines and whines and whines and whines and.. you get the point. I can get her focus on me, but 2 seconds later she's back to trying to eat the cat alive. I don't think it's her age, and I don't think it will get better!

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
We have a baby gate to give our cat a safe place when the puppy can't stop herself from chasing him. We are in the inbetween phase - puppy is still a puppy and wants to play with everyone and puppy is learning leave it and getting there :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts