German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All :)

Obviously I have a 4 month old german shepherd pup and I am so excited to have a walking buddy!

It seems everywhere I read and everyone I turn to has a different opinion so how long would you recommend for 4 months old time-wise?

Standard answers I am getting are:
- 5 mins for every month old; OR
- 1 hour daily walks are fine as long as no signs of him panting / slowing down / getting exhausted

PLEASE clear this up for me!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Shape your walks to how he reacts to different times. If he goes 1 hour and he is stiff and exhausted, i'ts too much. If he goes 30 and is still raring, maybe a little more. Shape the times to your dog's endurance. Let me warn you as he is a puppy, there will not be a long walk till he is much older. But as he gets older, you can increase his walks as he will be able to handle more.

·
Registered
30,962 Posts
People think to much. Walking at our pace really isn't exercise for a dog. It's more important to give them unrestrained, natural, play than a structured walk. I would just walk until you figure out when he gets tired. Let him see the world and experience it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
People think to much. Walking at our pace really isn't exercise for a dog. It's more important to give them unrestrained, natural, play than a structured walk. I would just walk until you figure out when he gets tired. Let him see the world and experience it.
Thanks for the advice. I do natural playing off leash as well but I already walk/jog daily so would love to bring him along, that's all :)

·
Registered
30,962 Posts
I just let the dogs enjoy the scenery on walks. It's a good time to start obedience too. They have to sit before we cross the road. If you are in the country, I make them sit when a car goes by as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice. I do natural playing off leash as well but I already walk/jog daily so would love to bring him along, that's all :)
I just let the dogs enjoy the scenery on walks. It's a good time to start obedience too. They have to sit before we cross the road. If you are in the country, I make them sit when a car goes by as well.
Okay will do. Thanks so much again for the advice :)

·
Registered
861 Posts
My pup is just over 4 months she gets free run of the huge fields by me on a long line. She rests when she needs too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts