German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone. Had my 4 and a half month gsd puppy at the vets today as I suspected he may have a hip problem. He has always dropped to the floor rather than lowering himself when sitting down and ran with a bunny hop. However last week I noticed he wasnt quite as steady as I'd expect on his back left leg and whilst running kept hovering it up for a second when he stopped. Today at the vet she pulled both his hind legs back one at a time and when she pulled his left leg back he yelped. She started him on anti inflammatories and told me to come back next Monday to see how hes doing and probably xrays. I'm terrified at the thought of him having hip dysplasia at this early age. I think shes waiting until Monday to see if it's a pulled muscle. Does anyone have any experience with hip dysplasia in puppies? As if he does have it I'm wondering how I can keep him pain free and comfortable for as long as possible. Any advice would be fantastic

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I'm certainly no expert, but there's a good reason even prelim assessments of hip joints are not done until a puppy is a year old. Their joints are still growing and developing. So I wouldn't jump to a HD conclusion this early! If your puppy is as clumsy at that age as mine, it seems much more likely that it is a muscle strain! As your Vet suggested give it time...my puppy had several minor limping issues growing up, and they all healed up and went away without intervention, which I believe is pretty normal. Hopefully that's what you're seeing as well!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that I really appreciate it. I hope it is that hes got me worried sick. Does anyone have any protocols they follow to safeguard puppies joints at thos young age? Thinking supplements wise or maybe just general advise on activities etc to avoid. Thank you

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Don't let them jump down from high places, like the bed or a truck or a table is probably the most common thing I've heard. Also exercise them primarily on natural surfaces like grass or dirt, and don't take them on long, forced hikes/walks, just let them set the pace.

On supplements, I didn't give my puppy any until she was around 8 months, then I started giving her PurforMSM. It's supposed to help with both joint and coat health.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I've honestly never heard of a puppy that young being diagnosed with HD! But to answer your question more directly, no my pup - now 2 1/2 yrs old - doesn't have any hip or joint issues. She does have a very shiny coat though!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree with holding off on supplements and that your puppy is probably just fine. I currently have a 5 month male GSD and I asked my vet about joint supplements and she said to wait until hes around a year old.
Tim also makes a good point that hip testing doesn't occur until they are much older because they aren't fully developed until that age.

We recently took our pup on a camping trip and when we got back he was walking all funny. I was a little concerned but realized he was probably just sore (legs and paws) because it was the first time he was in that type of outdoor environment. A few days later and he was back to normal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts