German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 month old male GSD. In the morning when he wakes up he poops twice and doesn't touch it. He then comes in to eat his food then goes out again to poop and doesn't touch it. Later in the day when I pick up all from the morning he goes again at night. Every night he goes he immediately turns around and starts to eat it. I've tried pineapple and pouring vinegar on it right away and he stills eats it. I've also tried commands like "leave it" and also running to cause a distraction but still no help. He's eating 3 times a day and only eats the poop from 5pm on

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
leash him and accompany him outside! or pick it up right after he does it. Hope he doesnt lick your face at night :p

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Besides the underlying cause (which has yet to be determined), the easy part here, is that you can predict her behavior.

SO.... Knowing that she only eats it at night, I would:

a) Leash him for that last poop.
b) Carry a treat
c) Give him one sniff of his poop, a firm "leave it", and treat his good response
d) Consider a late night snack after 5pm. Maybe his actions are simply confusing to him, because he's acting out of hunger.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I was getting upset at my dog for doing this. And then I tried it with a little salt, now she has to fight me for it.:eek:

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Nara ate poop and it drove me crazy. You can search through all of the old posts on here about my experiences. When we switched to a raw diet, she stopped and has never eaten her poop or anyone else's after switching to raw. The best thing to do is always pick up their poo and don't allow them access to it, but I know it's not always practical. I've read about some dogs on raw still eating poo, but they seem to be the exception to the rule. We tried 8 different kibbles over 2 years, and Nara ate her poo with each one (Solid Gold, Life's Abundance, Wellness, Wellness CORE, Innova EVO, Taste of the Wild, Acana, Orijen). Raw was our miracle solution and I highly recommend it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts