German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I’m hoping for so advice as I’m struggling to find answers online.

I have a 4 month gsd female, she is as good as gold in every way. Food orientated, easily trained, house trained, crater trained, literally I cannot fault her until...

when out on walks with my 3 year old, she will lose the plot if he isn’t next to her. She will exhaust herself to make sure that she is either along side him or in front of him.

I thought, ahhh, maybe she wants the pack together but she couldn’t care less if me or my partner walk ahead or leave the group.
I wondered maybe it was a protective instinct, but she’ll occasionally direct a nip at him when next to him.

this behaviour only occurs when on the lead walking, she’s not overly bothered with him in doors.

We are quite confused as to what this behaviour is as she is very good on the lead (she’s walked on a harness) when out on walks individually but add our son to the mix and it gets a bit manic.

sorry for the long pos

·
Registered
11,436 Posts
I wouldn't give her the opportunity to practice this behavior. Consider a martingale collar to have more control. You are the boss over this pup! Reward her for good behavior a the first sign of it, like the first step of walking with you instead of her wanting to be next to your son. Teach her the "Leave It' command to leave your son alone. Be very careful with this behavior; it is only a young dog and she can start to assert herself if given the chance (as in 'biting') I suggest getting a GSD-savvy trainer in the home to observe this behavior.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I had a bit of trouble with my pup and my 80-year-old mom. For some reason, pup has decided that he need to protect her from the evils of the world. When we walked together pup liked mom to walk between us or right behind us. When she naps, he sleeps right outside of her door. He didn't do this with anyone else.

I also used 'leave it' and was a bit assertive than normal so that pup knew that I was in charge of taking care of everybody.... unless I asked for his help to chase off a squirrel or rabbit.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have trained our Karma to walk beside/with her tiny humans when we go on walks. She will pull like a freight train when she is held back/away from them, but once next to them, the leash goes limp to the point my 5 year old can hold it without an issue. I have never experienced her nipping for the herding though

1 - 4 of 4 Posts