German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, she still isn't taking to the crate. However I don't believe it's the crate that's the issue I believe it to be more than that.

Still at 4mons she is constantly howling and crying while in her crate. And yesterday I took her up to my mothers house. I put her outside in the back yard with my sisters dog that she gets along with. For the first 20 minutes all she did was whine and jump at the door trying to get back in. I stepped outside once and the crying stopped and she started playing, until I went back into the house. It took her about 30 minutes or so to finally let go and start playing.

The only thing I can think that needs to be done is that she needs to be away from me and to spend more time with other ppl and animals without my being there. I'm not sure how this can be done or what to do, but I don't want this behavior to continue. I don't know if it's a lack of confidence or what it is.

Greatly seeking any advice.

·
5,627 Posts
How much time does she spend apart from you on a daily basis? It sounds like she never learned to be on her own and may have some separation anxiety.

How much exercise does she get daily?

I suggest you read the book "I'll Be Home Soon" by Patricia McConnell. It's a short little $8 you can get on Patricia's website or Dogwise. There is a lots good information in it to deal with these issues.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well apart from sleeping and my taking a shower and runnig down the street for a few she's alway within eye sight.

I may place her in her crate once or twice during the day anywhere from 10 minutes to 1 hr or more depending on what I"m doing or need to get done. What I also noticed last night is that, she will down obey a down command while in her crate. However it's a breeze if she isn't in her crate.

As for exercise, we do our mile or more walks anywhere from 4-5 days a week depending on the weather. Other than that we work on her obedience in the house, definately unable to get her attn while outside, and we play fetch in the house. She has not been completely vacinated at the moment, and therefore I don't take her to any dog parks et cetra out of fear of the other dogs and their shot records. And with my getting her just after she turned 3 mon we are getting another shot coming up in a little over a week and then it's off to classes for her. Which I am hoping will help with some confidence.

·
Registered
512 Posts
You have to crate the dog for times other than when you're away.
If the only time a dog goes in it's crate is when you leave, they learn to associate the crate with separation, and never really take to the crate.

Hanging out near the crated dog [dog crated in view while you eat your meals, clean, etc.] and letting the dog enjoy it's meal or a nice peanut butter stuffed Kong in the crate creates positive associations.

Also, you're not letting her out of the crate while she's crying are you?

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
What protocols are you following for crate training?

Many of us have dogs who don't like to be outside without us so I wouldn't necessarily worry about that. You do need to get her comfortable with staying home alone though. The "I'll Be Home Soon" booklet is a good one to follow. Even if she doesn't have full blown separation anxiety you can still follow the recommendations for getting her used to you leaving for gradually longer periods.

I used it with Rafi (who did have separation anxiety when I adopted him) and he is fine home alone now.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, I don't let her out when she's crying, I won't even make any advancement to the door of the room she's in until she's been quiet 5-10 minutes.

However I lied earlier, I also feed her in her crate as well. As for having her in her crate while I eat et cetra, that would be kind hard. She's in a spare bedroom with a bed. I have the crate in between the bed and the wall with a cover thrown over the very top to give her more of a den dwelling feel. Perhaps I should move the crate out in the open? If I moved the crate to a more open area, such as an open corner in the same bedroom she would be able to see out the doorway while I am in the living room. Perhaps a better option?

·
Registered
512 Posts
I've always been an advocate for crating the dog in the livingroom.

Granted, your home layout may be different, but in my house, the livingroom is central to most every. If I'm in the kitchen, the dog can see me. If I'm on the couch, the dog can see me. If I'm at the table eating, the dog can see me.

Is there a reason you can't locate the crate to a more central location? If you can, that'd be my move.

Crates make great end tables. The plastic airline ones even have built-in "cup holders", lol.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well what I do with the crating. I place her in the crate at bedtime after going outside to relieve herself. My household doesn't usually go to bed until around midnight. I have a roommate that is usually up by 4a-6a depending on his work schedule. If I hear her wimper in the night as if needing to go out. I wait until the wimper has stopped for atleast 5 mins and then approach the bedroom, leash her up right then and walk to the back door. She does her buisness, we come in, I walk her back to the crate, give the in cmd and go back to bed.

When feeding I also place her in her crate. I have her go in, give the sit cmd, await for her to calm down, and then have her wait to eat the food until I have placed it in the crate and given the ok cmd. When she starts to eat, I shut the door and leave the room until she is done. Which is usually when I don't hear her enhailing her food. I let her out of her crate then.

Thats' basically what goes on during the night and feeding times. Other than crating through the day a few times. I basically place her in the crate, with her kong and bone. Shut the door and give her the down cmd, which she refuses to do in the crate and I walk away.

As of last night, I have placed a radio in her room while sleeping and when ever in the crate during the day. It doesn't seem to help. However I just started that last night. So we shall see.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I would move the crate to a location with more activity if you can. Also how long have you had her?

Is there a doggie day care near you? I took all of my pups there at least once a week until they were about 6 months. It helps with them being away from you, being with other people and other dogs. And most of all they come home sooo very tired!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Well what I do with the crating. I place her in the crate at bedtime after going outside to relieve herself. My household doesn't usually go to bed until around midnight. I have a roommate that is usually up by 4a-6a depending on his work schedule. If I hear her wimper in the night as if needing to go out. I wait until the wimper has stopped for atleast 5 mins and then approach the bedroom, leash her up right then and walk to the back door. She does her buisness, we come in, I walk her back to the crate, give the in cmd and go back to bed.

When feeding I also place her in her crate. I have her go in, give the sit cmd, await for her to calm down, and then have her wait to eat the food until I have placed it in the crate and given the ok cmd. When she starts to eat, I shut the door and leave the room until she is done. Which is usually when I don't hear her enhailing her food. I let her out of her crate then.

Thats' basically what goes on during the night and feeding times. Other than crating through the day a few times. I basically place her in the crate, with her kong and bone. Shut the door and give her the down cmd, which she refuses to do in the crate and I walk away.

As of last night, I have placed a radio in her room while sleeping and when ever in the crate during the day. It doesn't seem to help. However I just started that last night. So we shall see.
If you know she's refusing the down command in the crate, I wouldn't give it. You're teaching her to blow you off. There's really no reason to be telling her to down in the crate. Frankly, I wouldn't give her any commands in the crate.

The idea is for the crate to be a mellow space that the dog "owns". Making it a place for obedience takes some of that away from the dog.

Is buying a second crate an option? I know having a room to crate the dog in where it doesn't disturb your roommate is a good thing, but having the option to let the dog hang out in the crate during the day, without being isolated from the household goings-on, will help with the issues you're having.

·
5,627 Posts
Just curious, what is the purpose of the down command when you put her in the crate?

I also agree that if she won't comply, you shouldn't give it because you are teaching her it is OK to ignore your commands every time you walk away and she hasn't done it. Also, many people expect their pets to stay in whatever command is given until they are released. If you are crating her for hours at a time, having her comply to "down" will be very difficult.

Have you ever had the opportunity to observe how she reacts if she is with someone else and you walk away?

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Chance has a crate in the living room for when I am work and one in the bedroom for sleeping. Have found that putting a blanket over the crate helps. as far as separation anxiety when I am home, we work on sit and stay slowly. Get ten feet away for 20 seconds and praise and slowly increase the time and distance. This builds confidence. As you increase the time also increase the distance with praise. Chance has responded well to that since he has self confidence issues. He was sick for the first year of his life and training was very difficult causing behavior issues, so working on building confidence now that he is feeling better has made a huge difference in his behavior.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you know she's refusing the down command in the crate, I wouldn't give it. You're teaching her to blow you off. There's really no reason to be telling her to down in the crate. Frankly, I wouldn't give her any commands in the crate.

The idea is for the crate to be a mellow space that the dog "owns". Making it a place for obedience takes some of that away from the dog.

Is buying a second crate an option? I know having a room to crate the dog in where it doesn't disturb your roommate is a good thing, but having the option to let the dog hang out in the crate during the day, without being isolated from the household goings-on, will help with the issues you're having.
Well, at the moment a second crate isn't an option, at least not until after the vet appt coming up, then we shall see. I will however see about moving the crate to a better location giving her a bit more interaction as far as seeing ppl walk by et cetra.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just curious, what is the purpose of the down command when you put her in the crate?

I also agree that if she won't comply, you shouldn't give it because you are teaching her it is OK to ignore your commands every time you walk away and she hasn't done it. Also, many people expect their pets to stay in whatever command is given until they are released. If you are crating her for hours at a time, having her comply to "down" will be very difficult.

Have you ever had the opportunity to observe how she reacts if she is with someone else and you walk away?
Well with her only being 4 mons I don't expect her to do anything for a period of longer than a minute or two. lol

As for the last question. No, I've not had the experience, because at the moment there isn't really anyone else around, or at least anyone that I trust.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Well, at the moment a second crate isn't an option, at least not until after the vet appt coming up, then we shall see. I will however see about moving the crate to a better location giving her a bit more interaction as far as seeing ppl walk by et cetra.
Watch Craig's List for cheap crates.
Shame it isn't summer- yard sales are usually loaded with crates.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts