German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

My 4 and half month old girl has a thinning hair on the bridge of her nose. I haven't seen her scratch it and it does not look red or scaly. She has two hair-thinned out spots on her head too, one which I know happened whilst she was playing. The hair around her eyes also look a little thinned out for my liking. Her trainer ( he has two GSD's as well) mentioned to me that it is normal for a pup since his went through the same thing. She is on salmon oil, calcium and multi vitamins with a good quality kibble.

I am taking her to the vet tomorrow for a check-up to make sure she doesn't have mange, but is this normal?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,439 Posts
What kibble is it?

No, it is not normal.
Also, I would hold out on the calcium supplement. Too much is not good for a young GSD.

·
Super Moderator
6,711 Posts
“normal” might not be the best word, but it isn’t uncommon - if it’s demodex, also known as “puppy mange”. easily treated in my experience (one you have a diagnosis of course). my pup actually grew out of it, no treatment needed.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Their "look" does change as the fluffy fur ball puppy coat gives way to their adult coat which has a completely different texture and "look"---I'm guessing that's what you're seeing...you might post some pics and you'll get some more feed back.....I agree I wouldn't add supplements unless you're sure the present diet is lacking a particular vitamin or mineral......JMO....either way post back after you see the vet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello guys!! I was waiting on the test. Thankfully she doesn’t have Mange. The vet said she will grow out of it since she’s a puppy. I will cut down her supplements from two to one a day! Thanks again for the heads up. She is on Royal Canin gsd puppy- unfortunately this is one of the best I can find in India. I do include boiled chicken and egg in her diet, for an overall balance, with a view raw veggies to nibble on in between. Any other recommendations, please do let me know! Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
Could be the moment of the picture but to me her eyes don't look as perky as I would expect from a pup. (Don't feed calcium as a supplement as it can mess up their food balance and cause structural issues)

·
Registered
267 Posts
She is on Royal Canin gsd puppy- unfortunately this is one of the best I can find in India. I do include boiled chicken and egg in her diet, for an overall balance, with a view raw veggies to nibble on in between. Any other recommendations, please do let me know! Thanks
I use Royal Canin GSD puppy dry food as well. Like you, I add a little fresh chicken, turkey or meat topper. It has worked out fine for my puppy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could be the moment of the picture but to me her eyes don't look as perky as I would expect from a pup. (Don't feed calcium as a supplement as it can mess up their food balance and cause structural issues)

Oh that’s because she just woke up from her nap. Thank you for the recommendation- will have it followed up with her vet!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts