German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I bought a German Shepherd 3 yrs. ago and found out he has HD.
I was searching for answers for my GS because I was told he has HP he is 3 yrs. old and cry's out after playing or chasing his balls, or when he has laid down for while, he cry's getting up, so I carried him to the vet at that time I was having him neutered, I told the vet about how he acted, so she suggested x-rays while he was under anesthesia, took 3 x-rays, she showed me his pictures.

I was shocked at how bad his sockets had grew not even a C shape, I was devastated over this and so upset because I can't afford to have hip replacement done on him.. and Im thinking my dog is going to have to be on drugs for the rest of his life.Soooooo after I got home I called the breeder I had purchased him from.I told the breeder and I ask him would he be willing to pay for Pharaohs Vet bills, he said legally he don't have to do anything..

I said ok then maybe I 'll just go to Facebook and make a page about how you sell not quality GS and how your page says good genetics. I told him Im going to have laser therapy on my GS and maybe he should pay, I said you can call my vet ask them about the HD.. so he did.. he told them he would pay the 200 for laser but no more, he said he would want me to sign off on that.. so the next day when I took my dog in for his 1st.treatment, I was told he had a really bad attitude about me, and the vet had told him my dog had the HD.

He told them out 16 puppies how the **** can 1 out of the litter have this disease, my vet explained that either or both parents have it or 1 of them have it in the genes and at some time this disease can come out it could effect 1 pup or 3 or a whole littler, if he had the mother dog tested he may have seen she was a carrier of the disease...had her fixed.

but he went on to breed this female which he said she has passed away and the father he had gave away...

so my question is what else can I do to help my 3yr.old GS I have him synovi g4 2 of them once a day.. and the medicine... oh another thing the my vet said they could cut off the top of my GS hip bones! Has anyone ever heard of this? Im really upset about my dog.. and want to help him... his first laser I haven't seen a bit of change so we'll see he has 7 more sessions to go. Hopefully I'll see an improvement...

also I heard he said he didn't have to pay legally I told him to shove it.
so now my main concern is what else can I do for my baby he is in pain, I have started the laser on him yesterday along with caprofen and tramadol
thanks to anyone input.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
well what can one say.

I understand your distress and that you want to do the best for your dog.

Tackling the breeder aspect first.

HD is a complex , multi factorial , orthopedic problem . You can breed ofa excellent to ofa good/excellent and still come up with a dysplastic pup.
You can have a litter that is good but there may be an individual that will have a problem.

SO . What your vet said is NOT correct

"my vet explained that either or both parents have it or 1 of them have it in the genes and at some time this disease can come out it could effect 1 pup or 3 or a whole littler, if he had the mother dog tested he may have seen she was a carrier of the disease...had her fixed.

N O T .

did the "breeder" x ray his breeding dogs ? Did you think to ask at the time ?
Responsible breeders do and take that information into consideration to MINIMIZE risk.

did the breeder offer a warranty as to what he was prepared to do should you have a problem?

no? then he has no obligation.

Even if there was a guarantee , or warranty , it is still a private agreement , not enforceable by law .

the settlement usually is LIMITED to the value of the pup you bought - either full refund , replacement down the line .

you can't expect them to participate in choices that you make in the care of your animal which may include sophisticated surgery in the $10,000 range .

that is why people buy insurance for their pup --- PUP -- before a diagnosis is made

then --- most warranties have a time frame -- usually there is a requirement that the dog be x rayed by two years of age , with a reasonable extension to accommodate females in season or inability to book an appointment spot on the two year mark .
I would say 4 months past 2 years is a good option.

I don't know any breeder that will cover a guarantee/warranty to three years

if the guy offers $200 for the laser -- take it .

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
"He told them out 16 puppies how the **** can 1 out of the litter have this disease"

well , yes , it can happen -- in fact for casually bred dogs this would be quite a GOOD record .

can he verify this?

easily done --- just have him give you the contact information so that you can check it out for yourself .

if you have this opportunity you have to keep a cool head - you can't get all chewy angry with them -- just ask and share the information that you have.

if you find out that big majority have this or other problems , then you make it known that the breeder doesn't care.

did you get registration papers?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HI
yes I have his akc papers, I took him for his 2sec laser therapy today he seems okay but stills crys out when he wants to get up, .. I will try to post his pictures again..

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Squeak, please ask your vet about ADEQUAN therapy -- it's a series of injections as a loading dose (8 of them, given twice a week for four weeks), and then a maintenance dose (one shot every two weeks for dogs that are severe, or sometimes even just once a month). In the US, at a vet clinic the treatment might cost around US$50 per injection, or less than half that if your vet shows you how to give them at home.

There's good research about it working very, very well for some dogs -- it doesn't mask pain; rather it heals by lubricating the joint to reduce or eliminate inflammation (and thus pain). I had an old dog with HD go from barely able to walk to jogging again in about a month, and he got off of pain meds. I've seen young dogs with severe HD stay spry and active for years on it, avoiding the need for surgery and pain meds. It's expensive, but it's good stuff!

I would even do that before laser treatments, personally, if you had to choose just one option for financial reasons.

Focus on your dog's well-being right now. The fight with the breeder is a distraction from what matters here.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Also, the suggestion of cutting off the hip bones sounds like a FHO operation -- a "salvage" operation for bad hips. It works, but the recovery and rehab is significant -- Llombardo here will be able to tell you more about that. We've done it with a rescue dog, and he's okay and doing well. I would view it as a last resort when medical treatment (incl. pain meds and Adequan) and supplements have failed. You might not have to do it. Or the hips might be so bad that it would be the best chance for a long, pain-free life. Either way, try to approach this as a journey to see what will work for this dog. Many dogs with HD can live great lives.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I have both a golden and a GSD that have hip dysplasia. The golden was first and my choices were limited because he dislocated his hip. I originally was going to do a hip replacement, but with lots of advice here and people I know, I went with FHO. After the first surgery he swam 2 times a week for almost 6 months, then he had the second surgery. He healed real fast after the second surgery. You would never know he had and surgeries. He was about 17 months and weighed 70 ish pounds when that started. He was slim and young. My GSD was just over 4 and 80 pounds when diagnosed. I opted for surgery immediately. After her first surgery, she also swam a couple times a week for about 6 months. They did the worse hip first. The second surgery was a hard one, it took 2-3 vets because there was so much inflamation and arthritis. It was not expected because it was the better hip but deterioration happened FAST. Rehab for 8-12 weeks included Chiro, acupuncture, laser therapy, underwater treadmill and lots of at home stuff. It was tough and it took her alot longer to heal, which I expected because if her age and size. She is now fully recovered and runs and plays without any pain. No limping with her either.

Lots of people might not agree but surgery was the only way for us. There are no guarantees on how long it takes to get worse or dislocate and I can't imagine a 9-10 yr old dog going through the surgery and rehab, leaving options very minimal. There are a million other problems with both breeds I have and knocking the hip dysplasia out of the mix as they age gives me the ability to focus on othef medical stuff. We don't need hip dysplasia causing issues. To date I have not given any over the counter supplements, but I do give chicken feet, gullet and stuff that provides natural glucosamine. I did get some dtufv at one point before she was completely healed and I gave researched adequan got later if needed. In the meantime they are kept very slim, I got a pool to swim them, and we take hikes and stuff that help build muscle.

Her favorite thing to do is to play in the mud--then she gets banned to the bathroom until I can clean her up:smile2:

Reactions: Diego M

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Another thing...

Hip dysplasia can happen for other reasons then genetics. It's never guaranteed it's not going to happen but maybe less likely to happen if parents, grandparents have good hips. There was no hip dysplasia going back as far as they could go with my golden. When you get a dog it's best to be prepared for things like this to happen. I can tell you that I spent $20-$25,000 on both of mine. I'm still paying on the second one and still eating lots of pasta for dinner, but it had to be done. My boss gives me as much overtime as he can to help me out.

Reactions: Diego M

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
ASU.
Avocado / soybean unsaponifiables --- ASU .

Since it is an extract of the avocado it is safe for dogs !

I do know that it is an ingredient of Dasuquin - but was not aware that you could buy it as a singular
ingredient.

Might be more economical and allow you to play with the ratios .

Complementary to glucosamine and chondroitin , MSM , and hyaluronic acid , these fats from avocado extract and soybean can prevent cartilage breakdown .

Here is what is so interesting . Not only does this combination of fats prevent breakdown , they provide building blocks
" and otherwise up-regulating the production of new cartilage, boosting the secretion of beneficial joint fluid, and/or having a direct anti-inflammatory effect on the synovial membrane."

Avocado/Soybean Unsaponifiables (ASU) for Joint Health

apparently even beneficial to a "normal" dog -- and persistent benefits beyond the period of treatment

https://arthritis-research.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/ar2649

you may want to review your dog's total diet to remove inflammatory foods , to help build strong muscle , and to incluce anti inflammatory fish oil .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts