German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've been looking around for crates for when I bring my pup home tomorrow. I know eventually I will need the 42 or 48 inch, although I know its going to be a while til she is big enough to need that size. If I could find a decent deal on a large crate with divider I might do that now, although the pickings are slim right now. I did find a good deal on a 30x21x24 (doesn't come with a divider). This would actually be ideal so that I don't have a giant cage taking up half of my room. (note: I am living in a house with 5 roommates until May, when I will be graduating and moving into a place of my own). I measured it out, and it seems like this size might work without needing a divider for a while. Although if she will grow out of it in a month, then obviously its not the right choice! She is 9 weeks old and about 10 lbs.

Thoughts??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also just found a brand new 36" that comes with the panel divider for only 50 (same price as the 30"). What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Assuming that's 24" tall, that will work for most female pups for the first 3-4 months. Most female GSDs will be fit into a 26" tall crate for most of their lives, although it might end up a bit small for real comfort (but it usually works for car travel). A 30" tall crate is generally a good size for a male or female adult GSD.

I always look at the height first, so that's how I remember them

·
Registered
161 Posts
On the recommendation of my breeder I purchased a giant size airline plastic crate for home crating my female who is 26.5" tall at the withers. Plenty of room for her which is what I wanted. For transport use I have a 30" tall plastic crate.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I started off with the medium size crate for my pup with no divider. That was too big for her so I went to a small crate. That worked for about a month then I moved her back to the medium size crate and then I put her in the crate she uses now and she did very well.

I would get the crate with the divider to use since its the right price and it will last you longer.

·
2,967 Posts
Personally I like a smaller plastic crate to start my puppies in. Usually a 400 series Varikennel (36" long) works really well and will convert to a car crate for most female Shepherds.

I prefer plastic because it is darker and more den like (seems to keep puppy quieter during crate training) and it also contains messes much better. Puppies in wire crates drive me crazy because if there is an accident, they will usually drag, at minimum, their tails through it and then when they see you they are so happy and wiggly that their wagging tails sling mess through the crate and all over your walls, bed, carpet, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts