German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! New here and first time GSD owner! I was wondering if she was full GSD or mixed breed. On the vet intake form they recorded her as a mix but on her medical examination and vaccination forms they recorded her as German Shepherd being her only breed! She is a little underweight at 57 lbs but is still absolutely beautiful! Her name is Charlotte. I can provide more pictures later on hut I just wanted to see what everyones initial impressions are!
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Charlotte is a very pretty girl, congratulations! She's definitely got a lot of GSD in her, but the only way to be sure would be a DNA test. If I were to guess, just based on these pictures, I'd say she's mixed...maybe a little lab in there? My first dog was a lab GSD mix, and he looked all GSD except that he was a bit shorter in length and stouter in build than a purebred GSD.

But either way, she's a beauty!

·
Registered
16,035 Posts
One of my PB GSDs was stalky -- a bit of a tank, really.

She does look PB in coat, color and face. I'd guess that you could get an IDP (is AKC still doing those) if you wanted to compete in obedience or other sport.

I'd call her whatever you want and not worry about it "Mix" might give you more leeway in housing and insurance issues if those are concerns.

·
Registered
264 Posts
My guess is she is purebred GSD just from the pics. The coat is very typical of American pet lines. She does not look underweight in these pics. Most GSD owners prefer to keep their dogs on the lean, athletic side compared to the average American notion of overweight pets. Some vets even make that mistake. I agree with the post below that classifying a dog as a mix even when they are purebred GSD potentially helps tremendously with legal, insurance and housing issues. Thanks for rescuing her and she is indeed absolutely beautiful!

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
I don't think she is PB, but she is very pretty. I have a high content GSD mix, myself.

·
Super Moderator
8,512 Posts
Coat looks short, possibly single, and coarse.... I’d peg her with a bit cattle dog or staffie, but yes, high content gsd. Doesn’t look overweight from the pictured angles. Appears stout, short prick ears, cute white tip on the tail - what’s the cattle dog population like in your area?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for your responses and complements! Im in Texas so there are quite a few Texas Heeler dogs which are a mix with Aussie cattle dogs I believe. But not too many near the area that I reside!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
She looks pretty purebred to me?? Either that or she has a lot of GSD in her! Beautiful dog though. Congratulations and thank you for rescuing her!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts