German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
It sounds like your heart tells you to go pick him up because you think he could make it in a more ideal situation. It seems this young man put Harley in a situation with roomates that Harley was not ready for. I think Harley could have a good life with the right handler but its going to take some more effort on your part to acheive this. tI have seen many shepherds that are one person dogs and they are handled that way and do fine. I have also seen many one person shepherds that over time became more accepting of strangers and much less of a liability. It takes time, training and love. I wish the best for you in the very difficult time.
Well said, this is perfect.
If the dog is intelligent, loyal/loving to its person, and willing to learn. The dog is trainable and can be counter conditioned and desensitized.
It does sound like he probably was pushed too far. All dogs has thresholds. Some are a lot lower than others, you have to build up that threshold to a place where it is acceptable for you and safe for other people. The only thing that concerns me is that it sounds like he wen't full force with the bite and instead of a warning nip at the person (and hopefully only after lots of other calming signals and warnings were given!). That is something I personally would not take on as a project dog, but i am sure there are people out there willing to do so.
Call rescues, trainers who favor the breed, etc. and see if you can have someone give him another chance.
Otherwise my best advice to you if you cant, since it sounds like you love the guy.. Is to be with him for his euthanasia and spoil him rotten before. Dogs live in the moment, they don't count days, months or years. He will know that you were there, that he had fun and the energy from you. I'm sorry, this is so sad :(

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
there are very hard issues everyone has to face as they grow. some harder than others. you are facing a hard one. the strength (or not) of your character will determine how you deal with it. heartbreak is a fact of life, especially when you're dealing with other living beings. to walk away from all animals is certainly one choice that is open to you. you do sound pushed to the limit and I wish you strength and the ability to make a decision that you're comfortable with, no matter what that decision is. take care.

·
Registered
138 Posts
TSM, sorry for your loss. You did what you thought was best for the dog in order to give him a the best chance to a good life. Peace.

·
Banned
1,673 Posts
Go get him and take him to a GSD rescue...
rescues do not take dogs like this unless the owner lies and does not disclose the biting history
why on earth would a rescue want a dog that bites so bad people have to get stitches when there are dogs that do not bite sitting in shelters already that will die if not pulled to rescue?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
If the dog is intelligent, loyal/loving to its person, and willing to learn. The dog is trainable and can be counter conditioned and desensitized.
It does sound like he probably was pushed too far. All dogs has thresholds. Some are a lot lower than others, you have to build up that threshold to a place where it is acceptable for you and safe for other people. The only thing that concerns me is that it sounds like he wen't full force with the bite and instead of a warning nip at the person (and hopefully only after lots of other calming signals and warnings were given!). That is something I personally would not take on as a project dog, but i am sure there are people out there willing to do so.
Call rescues, trainers who favor the breed, etc. and see if you can have someone give him another chance.
Otherwise my best advice to you if you cant, since it sounds like you love the guy.. Is to be with him for his euthanasia and spoil him rotten before. Dogs live in the moment, they don't count days, months or years. He will know that you were there, that he had fun and the energy from you. I'm sorry, this is so sad :(
Trust me I did call email pm probably 50 some people, lots of sites etc. he was smart, and actually liked his handler, one person at a time really, although I had him around some people, some he really liked others he did not. Today I finally got a message on my FB other folder don't know where she saw my status, but probably thru a share, It was a woman that trains SAR dogs and competition dogs, her profile pic was her in a bite suit.
Her message came the morning he was PTS. :( the guy that put him down and his vet wouldn't communicate with me so it probably woulkda took some nasty threats to get it all stopped....wish she coulda found me sooner:(

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
And NO I DIDNT GET TO BE WITH HIM< NOR DO I KNOW IF HIS NEW HANDLER WAS :(:(:(

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
TSM, sorry for your loss. You did what you thought was best for the dog in order to give him a the best chance to a good life. Peace.
Thank you, unfortunately it wasn't... and as far as trusting people, that will not come easily at all. I pray that anyone that for what ever reason cant keep their pet, really takes about 10 ref. because I screened about 40 people, and the 1 I thought was a good one still wasn't.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
there are very hard issues everyone has to face as they grow. some harder than others. you are facing a hard one. the strength (or not) of your character will determine how you deal with it. heartbreak is a fact of life, especially when you're dealing with other living beings. to walk away from all animals is certainly one choice that is open to you. you do sound pushed to the limit and I wish you strength and the ability to make a decision that you're comfortable with, no matter what that decision is. take care.

thank you

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
You're welcome (and I am so very sorry).

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
I am very sorry, you obviously cared about this dog very much. It is very sad that he was wired the way he was and made everybody very difficult to live with him.
He will be watching over you and waiting for you at the Bridge.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
So sorry for your loss.. :( that was very unfair for both of you..
Message me if you would like to.

Rest in peace little man. :(

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I'm sorry.

In just about everything life isn't really fair. And as much as we want for every pet to be in a forever home, life sometimes happens and sometimes pets have to be rehomed.

We do our best to find the right person to take the dog. And since we would keep the dog until it died of natural causes if time and resources were unlimited, sometimes the right person to take the dog is the person willing to take the dog within reason.

One method of never being responsible again for a critter is to give up on ever again owning a critter. I think that is extreme though. It is like my trainer said to me last week, when we get to the bridge, there will be critters there that we, all of us, will have to apologize to.

If we go into getting a pet with the intention that it will be forever, and it simply does not work out that way, we need to be able to forgive ourselves and move on. At some point down the line, you will be in a position to again offer a critter a good life. You will come at it from a different place, one that understands the grief that you bear in the event that you cannot keep the dog and things don't work out ok. And this can and probably should make you hesitate, make you ensure that your situation is stable enough to keep the dog.

And maybe another dog will benefit from the home that you can offer it. Maybe a dog that will have been put down just for lack of space in the shelter and no one offering a home.

We can guilt ourselves into not acting, and we can protect ourself from the grief of caring for a critter and losing it, but refusing to care for another critter, but that isn't helping the one that is passed at all, and it isn't helping critters in general.

I am sorry this placement did not work out. You did the best you could with the knowledge you had. I am sorry the dog was PTS. It is very hard to have it happen like that. But the very fact that you care so deeply makes you a person that, when it is possible for you to have another critter, probably should have one. You can't change what had happened, only the future. Refusing any future pets, will not prevent dogs that don't deserve to die, from dying.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
The day Harley was pts, a woman contacted me that trained these dogs for SAR, her videos are her in a bite suit as well for competitions.... they were looking for 2 new dogs :(

Now Harley comes to me in terrible nightmares :( being treated badly, & IDK but either there night terrors or something but I heard the back door open & what I thought was clicking noises like claws on the floor.. I just cried...

Maybe its my guilt...

·
Registered
31,352 Posts
I'm not sure I would put a lot of stock into the woman who contacted you. You can not use a human aggressive dog in SAR to find people. How do you think that would work?

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
You have to forgive yourself, you did the best you could in your circumstances. i am sure Harley will forgive you. It is very difficult to live with a dog that is willing to bite people, Harley had the choice not to bite, he carries part of the responsibility.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm really sorry about Harley. Try to find peace in knowing that he's SO happy now, no fear, frustration, aggression...you did the best you could with what you had, and that's all anyone can do.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts