German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3 year old shepherd with a very weak stomach. she gets car sick, randomly has accidents if left home alone. If we are home she will let us know that she has to go out. She has been eating Purina for the past couple years...over the past day or 2 she has had really bad diarrhea, the food is the same, could it be the food? she randomly has accidents, I just don't get it...does anyone have any ideas?

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
I've never had a car sick dog but I'd imagine feeding well before or well after car rides as well as keeping your dog still (ie. using a crate in the car or a short doggy seat belt so she stays in place) would help minimize the sickness.

On the other hand, Purina isn't a good food. For roughly the same price you should look into Chicken Soup For The Dog, Kirkland Signature (Only at Costco), Diamond Naturals, Sportmix Premium, Taste of the Wild (Grain free!), Canidae (Grain and Grain free formulas), Blue Seal, Whole Earth Farms, Canine Caviar, Healthwise, things like that. These foods will run you anywhere from $0.50-$1.50ish a pound. Most are under $1/lb.

If you're willing to spend a little more, Wellness (CORE is their GF line), Solid Gold (Grain and GF), EVO (GF), California Natural (Grain and GF), By Nature, Blue Buffalo (Wilderness is their GF line), Castor & Pollux, ect. These typically cost $1.50-$2/lb.

Many people will recommend Orijen here, it's a good food but for the price, it's IMO not worth it when I'm getting great results on a MUCH cheaper food. Here it runs about $3/lb. This is the case in MANY places. I'd say unless it's the only thing your dog can handle, try other things first. JMO.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I would definitely try switching foods. Purina is like eating a Big Mac 3 meals a day for the rest of your life.

For the car sickness, you need to systimatically get her used to the car. Take her for short rides, maybe even just around the block or down the driveway and back, every day. Stop the drive before she starts to look queasy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses! I had no idea that Purina was so bad. I am going to head to petco and look for those recommended food brands and give them a try, hopefully that does the trick!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts