German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new owner to a lovely 3 year old GSD named Sophie. We adopted her from another family member who could no longer keep her about 6 months ago. We had her for a week or two before we took her to the vet and it seemed she was losing weight. So we bought some ProPlan for Athletic breeds and mixed it with her old dry food. At the time we were feeding her once a day, but she was getting 5 cups/day. When we took her to the vet, he recommended feeding the bulk of her food twice a day (2 1/2 cups morning and night) with an extra cup mid afternoon - he said she was kind of going through a teenage growth spurt and was probably stressed about being moved. He did recommend a grain free food in the future if we could swing it. Eventually we cut out the third feeding, but went to feeding her 3 heaping cups twice daily. We also feed her the occasional "treat" - raw chicken, liver, or venison, which she LOVES! When the ProPlan ran out, we decided to try Diamond Naturals Grain Free for Athletic breeds (chicken and rice), but with how much she was eating and how much the stuff costs, we couldn't afford to feed it to her plain, so we continued to buy a cheaper "store-brand" to mix in. She gets 2 parts diamond naturals to 1 part regular food. She did just fine with this switch, no change to bowels, excrement, etc. About 2 months ago, she began slowing down in how fast she ate, and at the same time we noticed she'd filled out and you could no longer see her bones. A couple days she also didn't want to eat her morning meal or didn't quite finish it, and took a couple hours in fact to do so, but after a few days she went back to normal, though did remain much slower at eating. We decided since she'd put on so much weight (not fat by any stretch of the imagination) that we would attempt to cut back 1 cup at a time. We had cut to 4 cups daily (2 morning, 2 night) without any change in weight, behavior, activity, etc), and she started snubbing her morning meal again. We tried adding warm water and a bit of ham mixed in but she only ate the ham and a couple bits of food. we also tried offering it and leaving it out, she just ignores it. One day my husband added a bit of bacon grease to coat the food - she ate it a little bit better but it still took hours. Yesterday it sat out ALL day and she didn't even touch it! The thing is, she eats her night meal without any problem with normal enjoyment. it's gone in a few minutes just like normal. For example, yesterday, we added her 2 cups for her night meal to the 2 cups she refused to eat earlier in the day and she gobbled it all down without any problem. She's due to go back to the vet in a month or two to have a repeat heart worm test the vet recommended. She's not acting sick, lethargic, sluggish, etc. she still loves to chase the ball and play keep away with us, we just took her to the beach and she ran up and down the beach and swam in the water. She doesn't appear to be in pain or have anything wrong with her. If she doesn't need to go to the vet now, I'd rather not take now and take her again in a couple months, especially since it's a traumatic experience for her.

Is this change in eating habits something we should be worried about? Does anyone have any suggestions? If the volume of food she eats remains low like this, we will cut out the "regular" food and feed her just the diamond naturals, but right now, I'm just worried about the irregularity of her eating and if this means we need to worry about something?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
If she is healthy otherwise and not losing weight then I don't see a problem feeding her once a day. Maybe do 3.5 cups, which is probably what she should have per day anyway.

·
Registered
27,250 Posts
The bacon grease can cause pancreatitis I would not offer that or ham again. If you want to supplement or disguise the food, cooked scrambled egg is high in nutrition and easily digested.
I would bump down the portions but still feed two times per day if possible. Though I feed raw and it goes thru the system faster than kibble, but I'd worry about feeding one big meal a day of kibble/bloat scares me!
Is she active regularly? Appetite/energy levels in mature dogs go hand in hand. If she's not getting exercised, no reason to eat much.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Onyx'girl - She does get regular exercise - she gets at least 1, sometimes 2 lengthy walks per day depending on our schedules. We have a fairly large yard that we throw her tennis balls around in for her to chase and bring back, I play "soccer" with her fairly regularly, we chase and play keep-a-way, etc. The vet did tell us her food requirements would go down after a while, either due to coming out of her growth spurt, or the arrival of summer. She is almost exclusively an outdoor dog. And yes, we treat monthly for fleas, tick and heartworm. I'm HAPPY that she's eating less, just not happy that we can't get her to eat twice daily.

I will try the eggs, but I doubt that will help much if ham and bacon grease didn't work so well.

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
Maybe give her a smaller dinner, so she will feel like eating in the morning?

My dog did this, too. I now feed him two snacks and an evening meal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts