German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need advice! I just saw this on my dogs lip, it’s on both sides and can’t figure out what it is, it feels really rough and scabby, but it’s on both sides?He doesn’t seem to like when I try to look at it, so I’m assuming it hurts! Poor baby, does anyone know what this is or how I can treat it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm.....I didn't notice that before. I have no idea.

Its not food, or something, stuck on there?
No, it’s all scabby. I have no clue what it is. I don’t know if I should just let it heal on its own or take him to the vet.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
My six year old, all black boy gets this every now and then, maybe once / year.

Usually, it’s in the corners of his mouth. Gets a little crusty, never pus or yellow. Tends to flake (scab) over very quickly and it’s gone in two / three weeks. Once it flakes off (or I pull them off), the skin underneath is brand new.

I’m not sure if it’s seasonal, temperature change related or he just gets cracked lips every blue moon.

Regardless, I do nothing for it other than add a little topical ointment. (Vaseline).

It never seems to bother or affect him in anything he does.

I’d just keep a close eye on your boy, for now, but I would wipe the discharge away - mine doesn’t get that.

Lastly, does he play with hard plastic bones / toys? He could be getting his lip caught between his teeth and a certain rough spot on the toy. Just a thought.

Best of luck w him.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My six year old, all black boy gets this every now and then, maybe once / year.

Usually, it’s in the corners of his mouth. Gets a little crusty, never pus or yellow. Tends to flake (scab) over very quickly and it’s gone in two / three weeks. Once it flakes off (or I pull them off), the skin underneath is brand new.

I’m not sure if it’s seasonal, temperature change related or he just gets cracked lips every blue moon.

Regardless, I do nothing for it other than add a little topical ointment. (Vaseline).

It never seems to bother or affect him in anything he does.

I’d just keep a close eye on your boy, for now, but I would wipe the discharge away - mine doesn’t get that.

Lastly, does he play with hard plastic bones / toys? He could be getting his lip caught between his teeth and a certain rough spot on the toy. Just a thought.

Best of luck w him.
Thank you for the feedback, I’ll try putting topical medicine on it. He does not play with plastic anything, he prefers the stuffed animal toys.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Sure.

If it doesn’t self-resolve in two/three weeks, I’d seek a vet for a script.

It does look exactly like what my Sebastian gets and many other GSD’s.

I don’t think it even reaches the Worry Scale.

Hope it turns out to be as innocuous as what mine gets.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts